Going to whine a little…

nedlm10

I know I’ll get flack for this but…I’ve been on my fitness journey for almost a year. I lift weights and do alot of exercises using dumbbells. I am in pain every single evening and day after my workouts. I’m very happy with my results, but is it normal to be in pain after EVERY single workout? I’m 57, so is that the reason? I’m being completely serious, is this how it’s going to be forever? Like I said, I do love the results, but honestly, I’m a little tired of groaning and experiencing pain all over my body, 3-4 days out of the week.
Please don’t be too harsh, I’m just trying to figure out if I’m doing something wrong, or is this just how it is, and maybe because of my age?

I do continually push myself and try to go up in weight and try new things.

@nedlm10 On Creatine ? It’s the most studied and widely used effective supplement. If you happen to be mostly vegetarian adding Creatine is a game changer. If you are a daily meat eater, you probably have a bit extra in your system already.

@nedlm10 A study focusing on resistance-trained individuals consuming a high-protein diet found that three months of creatine supplementation did not have a detrimental effect on kidney function. This aligns with other research indicating the safety of creatine supplementation regarding kidney health in various populations. It's important to note, however, that these findings apply to healthy individuals and cannot be directly extrapolated to those with or at risk of chronic kidney diseases. Participants were also on a high protein diet.

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-10-26

@nedlm10 My doc just told me to stay hydrated w creatine. I take a little less than 5g. Also, don't work the same muscles on consecutive days. (I have push1, pull1, legs1, push2, pull2, legs2.) I'm 50F, 5'5".

@nedlm10 We need some info -
  • What are your workouts like?
  • Do you take rest days?
  • What kind of pain? Joints/Tendons? DOMS? Specific muscle groups or after specific lifts?
  • Is the pain recent, or have you had it since you started lifting?
  • How is your sleep & diet?
At 57, don’t expect results like you’re 25, but I’m 72 and don’t have massive pain as long as I’m not pushing too heavy on compound lifts.

@laterrainfot I do 30 minutes of cardio, (incline treadmill, elliptical), then I use dumbbells and kettlebells mostly. Different squats, isometric exercises, planks…
Pain is definitely muscle soreness
I work out 3-4 times a week, always rest day in between.
I sleep great, 7-8 hours a night.

Clean eating, I don’t overdo it on protein, I work with a registered dietitian and she and I both have our opinions on that subject…contrary to what most people believe, I don’t go crazy on protein.

Maybe I push too hard? Maybe I should try to stay with the same weights for a lot longer than I do?

@nedlm10 Do you stretch after your workouts?

Once I started stretching about 20 minutes, 5 times a week, all my aches and pains vanished. 53F if that matters.

@nedlm10 I am little younger than you and have been on the fitness journey on and off forever. Warm up before (even when you start with cardio) and cool down stretches after are a MUST!! I am betting this will make a difference. Also... water, water and more water! Let me know!!

Edit for spelling/typos

@nedlm10 No. You shouldn’t be sore everyday. There’s a million details that are being left out that it’s impossible to assist. I’ll just touch on the big ones…hydration and lots of it…sleep and lots of it…healthy nutrition with an emphasis on .7 to 1.0g of protein per lean body mass and whole, minimally processed foods…rest days. Your body NEEDS rest days. There’s more but there’s not enough context in your post.

@liz869802 Ok, hydration is definitely something I need to work on. I sleep great, 7-8 hours every night. I eat mostly clean, very little sugar, but I struggle to get enough protein. I cannot tolerate ANY artificial sweeteners, including stevia or monk fruit, and most protein shakes have those in it. I rarely eat processed foods. And finally I don’t work out two days in a row.
I don’t think it’s arthritis because it’s definitely muscle ache.

@nedlm10 You can add unflavored protein powder to smoothies, oatmeal, etc. The brand I like is isopure. I'm also 57f and I have mild soreness the next day after a dumbbell workout. I assume mild soreness means I'm lifting correctly. Any pain more than that would mean I'm lifting too heavy. I would not assume it is your age if it is muscle soreness. I used to be a runner and stopped because it was causing knee and joint pain. I blame that on age and high impact activity. When I switched to cycling, zero joint pain.

@alh I started looking on Amazon this morning for a protein powder that also has creatinine…every one I see has some type of sweetener like Stevia or Ace-K, which I can’t tolerate!

They use words like “organic” or even say “no artificial sweeteners”.

I’ll look into Isopure brand. Thank you!