How to ignore your scale: 130lbs to 130lbs in just a year and a half!

@john1277 Can you post a picture of you not flexing? Maybe in the same pose as before? I know you've made progress, but as it is, your post reminds me a bit of this. Would be neat to see the after at-rest.

@raika Thank you! I do a push/pull/legs split for the most part. The only consistent part about each of those days is one of the big 3, but my accessory work can change a bit every week. I try to do at least 3 accessory exercises every time I go in addition to the main lift. I also alternate my push days with one being for mostly chest (with some shoulder worked in) and the next one being mostly shoulders (with some chest worked in)

Push: Flat bench press (always), OHP (always), incline bench press, cable fly, dumbell press, tricep isolations, lateral raises, face pulls, etc.

Pull: Deadlift (always), pullups (always), machine rows, T-bar rows, dumbell rows, etc.

Legs: Low bar back squats (always), front squats, traveling lunges, step ups, leg extensions, hamstring curls, etc.

I wish I could tell you exactly how many sets of what I do each week, but it's constantly changing depending on what I have time for, what I'm in the mood for, and so on. I would say that with the main lifts (squat, deadlift and bench), I definitely stick with high weight and low reps. Accessory work tends to look more like a hypertrophy routine because I tend to do slightly lighter weights for sets of 8-12.

@livelystone13 Yes! Sorry it took me a while to respond. I tend to do P/P/L/P/P/L/R. Though, if I'm exhausted, I take a day or two off even if it isn't my set "rest day". No routine can be perfect when real life strikes. :)

@john1277 Awesome, thank you for the detailed response. I see stats like yours and think that there's no way my bench could be that high in just a years time. I'm probably just being impatient, but I'm wondering if I need to do more of something like your workout, rather than something like ICF.

@john1277 Congrats on your work this past year :) Might be too much of a personal question, but did your your bra size change a lot? Haha, I was just wondering as I'm really close to your height and starting weight.

@cogitator12 Actually, it's funny you mention that because I was just thinking about it! I've been a 32B my whole life and was in the before picture as well. For some reason (hopefully back progress fingers crossed), my bra size has gone up slightly. I still wear a 32B, but I have to hook it on the last hook now instead of the first one.

@john1277 I absolutely don't wanna be "that" person, but I'm super inspired by your before and after.

Do check out /r/abrathatfits if you haven't already, you might find that you're a totally new size now. Nbd, no pressure, just a friendly note.

Again, I'm really glad this was posted bc I've felt like I was going nowhere because the scale hasnt budged.

@john1277 That's awesome!!! Thank you for sharing your success, my own slow progress on the scale gets frustrating, even though I know "it's working," so it's really helpful to see this.

@john1277 You look fantastic!

I'm currently going through something similar...while I'm not actively trying to lose, switching to a more strength intensive routine has definitely caused me to shed inches. On a whim, tonight I tried on a super cute skirt that a friend gave me that was too tight for me a month or so ago--now it fits perfectly, and it's even a little loose, and that's with not much scale movement.

Still have awhile to go before I'm as cut as you!

@k33p That's awesome! I definitely still have moments where I go to put on a pair of jeans that I haven't worn in a while and assume they'll be too tight just because that's the direction my body was taking before I started exercising. It's the best feeling!

@john1277 You look fantastic! Your progress pics come at an ideal time - I started lifting three months ago and the scale is so consistent I sometimes wonder if it's broken.

For some reason, it's easy as hell to notice muscle definition in your arms and legs and STILL feel like you aren't achieving much when the scale doesn't say anything different.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm going to go pick up something heavy now...

@john1277 Wow this is awesome! It's so daunting to step on the scale to find you've gained weight even though you don't feel like you have. Trust your body, definitely!

Back