Help this dad fight “dad bod”

@lostandfound123 I'm a big fan of Geoff Neupert's programs. Most call for 3x a week, 30 minute workouts. They also utilize a lot of clean and presses, so might be too much overhead work, but check out Easy Strength as a starting point.

@belovedsone Yeah, I looked into some his stuff but you’re right, very doubles and overhead focused.

I’m totally up for some overhead work, it just can’t be excessive. The tennis serve puts a lot of stress on the shoulder, so I want to avoid playing tennis with really sore or fatigued shoulders.

@lostandfound123 Easy strength also has a template that replaces overhead press with swings, precisely for guys in your situation. I would also +1 Geoff Neupert programs ,they're all made for older, busy people, and focus on getting the most ROI of strength/fitness/looking good Nekkid for minimal time invested. Follow any of them consistently, combine with some diet changes and they do deliver good results.

@lostandfound123 I started doing DFW remix which is pretty minimal but focuses on the basics. If I’m short on time I just do swings. Anything is better than nothing, and swings are pretty efficient. Just don’t forget that diet is going be #1 if you want to avoid dad bod.

@lostandfound123 A company I love is GMB, there programs are bodyweight focused with a good emphasis on mobility (and strength to move yourself in and out of these positions).

If you grab one of their programs they have an online platform called Praxis which delivers the program to you and each time you start a session it asks if you want to do a 15/30/45 minute session. Something like this might be up your alley based off your post. I’d recommend starting with their elements program.

You could then mix this up with DFW, Armour Building Complex, or S&S on opposite days.

*Edit: Just re-read your post and would definitely urge you to look into GMB. They’re programs aren’t stand alone fitness programs, they’re pretty low effort and are designed to just help you do your physical activity better; More range of motion, less injuries, better movement efficiency, etc. Sounds like that’s ultimately what you’re after.

@lostandfound123 If you have a spare 10 minutes, then use it to move.
For example, 10 minutes of kettlebell swings, either emom or amrap.

If you only have 5 minutes to spare, then use it to move.
For example, 5 minutes of shoulder presses, emom or amrap.

It kinda that simple, really.

If eventually you can commit to a routine, then you can transition to that, but if you don't have the time or energy, then make every spare minute count. The smaller workouts typically gather throughout the day, so eventually, you might have hit like 4 or 5 smaller workouts.

The main thing I'd say is pick a small amount of movements you want to get better at and focus more on them but obviously you can still stray away from that but it atleast creates a sort of routine without a routine as you're specifying the movements. You could even technically get a program with 5 movements and just break it up throughout the day whenever you have time.

As long as you eat, sleep, and move, you'll probably be fine.

Back