Help this dad fight “dad bod”

@lostandfound123 As a stay at home dad to two boys one of the most useful things I found was to have a kettlebell (35lb) and a steel mace (20lb) in my living room. Most days having an actual window for training wasn't possible, but I was able to snack on exercise throughout the day. Waiting for the pasta to cook? 5-minutes of mace 360s and 5-minutes of lunges. Waiting for the kids to get their shoes on? Ten clean and presses. Waiting outside the bathroom for the youngest to shout "I'm finished"? 50 kettlebell swings. Over the course of a day I found dozens of micro-moments to train.

My kids have suddenly hit the point where I'm not having to run around after them, but I still find these movement snacks incredibly useful.

@lostandfound123 Here’s what I did to lose the dad bod:

Figure out your sedentary BMR. Say it’s 3,000 Cals for math sake.

Now, do whatever lifting routine you want. Doesn’t matter just whatever you like and will stick to.

Eat 1g per pound you weigh in protein, figure out how many calories that is. Let’s say its 1,500 again for easy math. You have 1,500 calories left to do whatever you want with.

Then add 10,000 steps a day 7 days a week. That’s 500 calories burned, and your deficit.

Then just enjoy your life and you’ll lose 1.5 a week until you’re at goal weight. Each month, just rework for your BMR and do the same thing.

That’s it.

@lostandfound123 I became a father thirteen months ago. Like you, I was in decent shape and exercise has always been part of my life.
Since my son was born, I’ve been doing Pavel’s Strongfirst Simple and Sinister program. Super quick, super effective. 20 minutes tops, 100 swings, 10 TGUs.

@lostandfound123 Breathe and flow youtube channel on rest days. Bit of yoga is amazing. You can do it in your lounge room. It is no word of a lie a proper work out plus you get to work on flexibility and core strength. Also, learning to use breath work to keep yourself feeling zen.

@lostandfound123 As a new father to a 7 month old, it’s tough to figure out a workout routine. Especially in the first few months. I was eating like shit out of convenience, my sleep was erratic, and I just didn’t have the energy to workout.

Around 4 months in I started working out again. But not as consistent as I was pre baby. Each month it gets better. These days I try to workout at 530am but i dont always because i have to go to bed super early.

@lostandfound123 tldr: wake up before kids (once they sleep through the night) and you always have time. Go to bed early.

To deal with the lack of time (we have two kids and I work from home so the kids wake up at 7, I start work at 7 and end at 3. As soon as I set foot outside my home office I’m on kid duty and we don’t get a break until the kids go to bed around 7/7:30pm) my wife and I wake up at 4:30am to work out and get ready for the day while the kids sleep. Then we go to bed around 8:30 after the kids are down.

We are super lame and don’t do anything exciting, but we get our workouts in and are biding our time u til the kids are older and decide parents aren’t cool any more 🤣

@wordpurified Definitely planning to get up earlier when she sleeps through. But right now I’m up feeding her twice a night. I’d be dead inside of a week.

In fact, before her I’d often get up early to workout or play tennis at 6.

Back