HEY, EVERYONE! November is here and it's PULL-UPS MOTIVATIONAL MONTH! Join us today!

@rdmarita Oh no, I don't know who she is, the picture seems to have been taken randomly by the person standing behind her.

This picture has been circulating the web for a while. I decided to dig it up for this post.

@jcob
Ofc women can do pull-ups if theyp work for it! My friend in the picture regularly beats me in pull-up challenges (we usually end up around 45-50 pull-ups in increasing sets before people collapse... 😅)

Edit: one tip I can give for training is using an elastic band, put it arolund the bar and one foot in it, and do pull-ups. You should be able to find a band where you can do a few pull-ups. 5 rep sets of lower weight is more useful than half a rep at full weight.

Edit2:

@jcob Yeah, girl! Get it!

As for the assisted pull up machine, it won't really hurt you but it doesn't translate to free hanging pull ups. The body mechanics are different. You could do those and lat pull down to try and get to your negatives if you want, but once you can do negatives I would stick to that. If you have rings or a low bar, you can do foot assisted pull ups. Sounds silly, like if your feet never leave the ground it's not a pull up, right? But if you balance on your tip toes and you are honest with yourself in using the least assistance from your legs as possible, it can help. A good way to add volume at least. Keep it up, you got it!

@paul500 It's similar, but because the pull up uses so many muscles in combination with each other, you'll never get that same combination without doing an actual pull up motion. With an assisted pull up machine, you're either standing or kneeling on a platform. This restricts your body's motion in a lateral plane where your otherwise hanging body would be free to swing slightly throughout the pull up motion. Also, as you're partially resting on something, you don't get the full tension throughout your body so different muscles will be used.

I still think it's a useful tool however to mix into a pull-up progression routine.

@chosen44 Ah so you mean instability a la rings. Dream machine then would be the ideal setup. Considering the training advantages of eccentrics, negatives IMO are the better path to full pull-up absent the psychological disadvantage vs a “real pull-up motion”.

@luke Thanks for the support and advice! I have not heard of a foot assisted pull up, but it's definitely something I could try since I have a doorway tension pull-up bar. Maybe I will try the assisted pull up machine just for the fun of feeling like I can do a pull-up. Kind of like how swimming isn't like floating in outer space, but I still do it because I think it might be closest I can get.

@jcob Another idea is to hang a long sling or rope (static, not stretchy material) from the doorway pull up bar and put a foot in that. Then you can use your foot/leg to give you some extra help. It depends on the height of your pull up bar and whether or not you have rings - if you can touch the floor through the whole range of movement of your pullup then you obviously won't need the sling.

@jcob No worries. It might take a few re-ties to get it to the right height.

I look forward to hearing about your first negative, and after that, your first positive pullup!

@jcob When I started, I could not even hold onto the bar. Forget about doing any sort of negative. Now I can do 6 in a row which I think is decent progress.