HEY, EVERYONE! November is here and it's PULL-UPS MOTIVATIONAL MONTH! Join us today!

@jcob You can do it! I used the assisted machine for a while but it was negatives that helped me the most. Be ready for some aches the next day though!

Good luck :)

@jcob That's great. Good luck!
I felt the same way and spent a lot of time doing strength work in the gym and still failed to get a single pullup. The pull up assist machine did nothing for me. It wasn't until I found this sub that I learnt how to make progress. I think the closest thing to a pull up is doing vertical rows, try do these as low as possible with good form. After you can do these well have a go at the negatives, they're tough but they really work.

@womentake Yes, I am loving rows! I can feel myself getting so much stronger, they really work well. Thanks for sharing your experience and advice; it is encouraging!

@jcob I’ve recently reached your dream! It’s glorious and you’ll get there too. I was already doing lat pull-downs and rows in my gym routine. Eventually I incorporated assisted pull-ups into the workout and they actually ended up helping me a ton!

@jcob Yeah start with underhand close grip.

Starting with some heavier curls for biceps and some lat pulldowns should get you started on pullups. Close to 20 as a max, but im M/26/150

@kevinm1984 Thanks for the tips. I am already doing bicep curls since I felt the arm work I was doing wasn't hitting that muscle enough, so good to know it is helpful. Someone else mentioned lat pulldowns as well, so maybe I will add those!

@jcob Lat pulldowns definitely.

Try pyramid type sets, working from a lower weight and moving up 10-20 lbs after each set of reps to a point where you can do 3-4 pulldowns of a heavy weight, then go back down the "ladder" decreasing the weight and adding reps to get a good workout.

@rdmarita This is perfect timing. I started the RR about a year ago and I'm happy with my progress but need to focus a bit more, chin ups in particular. I started at 218 pounds and 3 (ugly) chin ups. I'm currently at 192 and 3x10. I will hit 3x12 before the end of the month and 3x15 before April. There, I said it out loud, now I have to get it done.

M/50/192/5'10"

@rdmarita Male, age 31, 152lb, 5'8

I can do 22 pull-ups I don't know exactly how long I've been training but I think it's been around 3-4 years. I haven't tried recently but my best weighted pullup has been with an extra 100lb

I do a lot of rope climbing which I would highly recommend as an exercise.