Home gym routine for 39 y.o. F ?

franklampard14

As a well-known fitness influencer at work, I was asked to suggest a simple fitness routine for a healthy, slightly obese 39-year-old female. The truth is that I'm actually an imposter, I lift weights, cycle to work, and run whenever I feel like it. So, I need your advice!

She wants it to be simple and doable in a home gym. She has barbells, dumbbells, and a treadmill but doesn't have any racks. I was thinking about famous Strong Curves, but it is not simple enough.

My next thoughts were about the StrongLifts 5x5 or Wendler 5/3/1 BBB + cardio on treadmill. I think they are simple but effective enough. Front squats instead of back squats, and she'll be golden. What do y'all think?

@franklampard14 You know, it's totally fair to say "Hey, that's not my area of expertise, sorry. If you told me you want to be a powerlifter, I can coach you well. But for general fitness, you might want to see a more qualified professional, like a good DPT or trainer."

@sunnybee Most of the personal trainers in our area are uneducated pieces of steroid meat. Their level of education is literally several months of online courses. I also believe that simple 5x5 + cardio + some pull ups equivalent is a great general fitness routine if you start from scratch - i.e. bare 10 kg bar

@franklampard14
also believe that simple 5x5 + cardio + some pull ups equivalent

I like this option to begin with. When helping a friend of mine get into fitness/weight training I basically had him doing one main lift a day (goblet squats, press, DL or bench/floor press), then a push exercise, pull exercise and some kb swings. I used this for few weeks before introducing them to 5/3/1. Couple this with walking and a calorie deficit they should see good progress. Send them a link to the https://fitness.wiki if you want to use something for reference especially with the nutrition/calories etc

@franklampard14 Easy Strength for fat loss. Been running this myself. Dropped about 13kg since May and gained 10-15% strength (not bad considering my level is more intermediate to advanced... my daughter nearly doubled her strength in 6 weeks). Thing is, it is so easy it is hard to make an excuse not to do it. And with the equipment mentioned, I can't think of a better one.

Back