How do I train to walk at a 5mph pace for 2.5 miles?

@simslions Even at 6'3 that seems like a stretch, I have a 36" inseam and walking faster than 4mph is significantly more effort than jogging at 5mph

I suppose OP could look up racewalking training?

@upliftinglove How long before you have to do this? Why do you believe you can't run?

In the abstract, I'd suggest couch to 5k at a 5.5-6 MPH pace where you'd be able to run the 2.5 miles in around 8 weeks. If this is like 3 weeks away then I don't know, you just run/jog and hope for the best.

@lanman87 If he is required to do the Walking test, Then having both feet off the ground at the same time (which happens while running or jogging) is a disqualification. However, if you're asking why can't he do the standard 'running' test option instead. He states above that he is unable to run anymore, but did not specify why.

@richardrhys Weird, I figured it was just a single test, 2.5 miles in a certain amount of time.

In any event, my suggestion still applies, couch to 5k, at 5 MPH pace during the run portions.

@upliftinglove As a former Service member and APFT walker (and was 30 plus with a knee condition), for me it always came down to form. If you have time, just practice getting that speedwalking hip-swinging form. I passed the walk by focusing on sustaining that form as long as possible during training, and alternating a fast normal walk for the entire distance. IT IS GOING TO HURT IN THE BEGINNING!

Start with 30 sec speedwalking "sprints" and alternate that with the normal walking style for 30 seconds. Do that for the entire 2.5 miles. When that is easy, change it to 45 sec intervals and keep increasing intervals until you can do it for 3-5 minutes a time.

The right speed walking form will get you the speed and endurance you need, and you will be less sore after. It SUCKS training for it, but if you practice it regularly (all year round) then during APFT it'll be a breeze.

I learned it from an elder NCO when I was young and in shape. I never knew how he could walk nearly as fast as I could run. He told me if I was ever in his shoes. That the form was the secret. Paid off for me. If you can put in the work, you'll get it passed, and finish out retirement strong.

Good luck!

@upliftinglove I have flat feet, i would call them duck feet on how much of an arch I don’t have. Slowly pick up the pace, so you’re walking and for 30-60 seconds you pick up the pace. Keep doing these intervals until you can keep up the new pace you want. I run about 5-6 miles daily, and I’m in mountaineering and usually do 16-20 hikes on the weekends . Yes flat feet do not help, but do not limit what I can do.