How do you deal with workout shamming?

@jesrel Those who shame others lack understanding and compassion. Ignore the judgments. It's your body and your practice. You own it. You know your body and your goals. I find personal trainers who listen ,observe, and know how to train to your goals without judgment a very good source of help.

@jesrel Even if you give the elite athlete the benefit of the doubt, that doesn’t mean he has the full picture of what you’re doing or even the qualifications to assess your training regiment. Stick to what your coach says and consult with a nutritionist if you’re feeling off. Don’t sweat it when others give you advice but don’t take it as gospel either. I usually just say ‘thanks for sharing’ and move on.

@jesrel Whoever is doing your coaching should tell the athlete to keep their nose out of your business.

The "elite athlete" isn't elite if he/she/they doesn't know to keep his/her/their nose out of your business.

@jesrel How did he know what your were doing? If you initiated the conversation then perhaps you were seeking validation from one of the elites. Instead, he gave you advice. If he initiated, then, like my dad says, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Take or leave the suggestion. It was meant to be of help. If you caught a feeling, it’s probably because you are comparing yourself or seeking approval. I know as a 54 yo, I’d likely be in that boat. I posted about getting two workouts in in one day and was taken to the wood shed on this Reddit feed and put on instagram. I’m taking the advice, for now (laugh) No double workout, I got the message loud and clear.

@truthnotfiction They came up to me out of no where and said, “I’m seeing you a lot here”. It was upsetting because they were making a very broad assumption with no facts. I’ve spoken to another coach since I posted this and apparently this athletes rubs a lot of people the wrong way. I do think they were trying to be “nice and helpful” but again with no actual facts it felt very judgy.

Back