How do you respond (and deal with it internally) when someone asks you if you are “still lifting”?

@danielkibby Had a really good example of this the other day.

I am a physical therapy student (soon to be PT, graduation is in 3 days). Was off campus for the past two semesters, away on clinical rotations. Only faculty interaction I had over those two semesters was with my advisor.

Last time I was on campus I was peak bulked, around 260lbs. Last week I was back on campus to present my research review, currently just over 3 weeks out from my first show if the season (yes, I know I bulked too hard).

My advisor came up to me after and told me the rest of the factually thought I had some form of illness, looking as small as I am right now, especially compared to the last time they saw me.

I understand I am small asf, being 3 weeks out. But OUCH.

TL:DR - School faculty hasn't seen me in a while, thought I was ill appearing.

@danielkibby I do this question a lot to my friends that I don't often see. Is cause I want to talk about lifting, not cause I think they look worse. In fact, I almost always make this question after seeing them and thinking "damn, he looks great, I want to know what he is doing". So don´t worry man, you probably are looking great.

@danielkibby I've had a couple teenangers and a kid at some of the contracting jobs I do ask me if I workout at all. I can bench 315 and have pretty low body fat. People just think you need to look like the hulk to ever be near a gym

@danielkibby Might just be small talk tbf if not then maybe wear a tighter fitting clothing? Or put more focus on the muscles you’d see in clothes arms,delts and traps

@danielkibby Just answer that you do?
You don't need the internet's help with a clever comeback here buddy. I very much doubt the intent was to disrespect you. You're being overly sensitive :)

@danielkibby 2 years is nothing and most likely you are doing things wrong aka not taking it super serious which is also fine. I didn’t do the diet part correct for many many years and i lifted daily and now after 20 years of lifting, with clothes on I still sometimes get asked if I work out.

Given I don’t lift fulltime anymore and lost some muscle but still.
I just say no I don’t workout at all when people ask. And usually they don’t believe it, so basically they just asked me to be able to tell about their own lifting.

People asking don’t know your starting point so like you say just be happy with the progress you’ve already made and perhaps it can motivate you to put in that extra effort or to examine your current lifting strategy

@danielkibby A lot of people just don't know anything about any sort of bodybuilding or weight training, and have no idea what they're looking at through someone's clothes. When I came back after a long break, I lost 40-50 pounds and gained 10-15 pounds of muscle back in a few months. I had people asking me if I gained weight. Despite a net loss of 30-40 pounds, they thought I had gained weight because my shoulders, chest, and arms were bigger. They just have no idea what they're looking at, while people familiar with the lifestyle knew immediately that I had gained muscle and lost fat.

@danielkibby Because people who don't lift have absolutely no idea what bodybuilding looks like. Most older women, for example, think that they will get huge from lifting one weight and think Arnie is what every gym go-er looks like; the general public's view is so skewed. Only other lifters will appreciate you unless you jump on roids, but then you are putting yourself in danger to appease a bunch of randoms.

Edit: to answer your question, I just smile and say yes I am, it doesn't bother me anymore.

@danielkibby I copied jay cutlers workouts and meal schedule in his one step closer dvd and also jay to z. I never had a problem growing muscle after that. That was almost 20 years ago and I honestly have never had anyone ask me if I was still working out. In fact, people, including my mom, would ask me if I was on steroids. And the results happened quick. You should be able to make great gains in weeks if you’re in decent shape at the start.

Jay cutler used short rest periods and he times them. I wear a watch to the gym and time mine. 30 seconds for isolated movements and up to 1:20 for heavy duty compound movements like squats and deadlifts.

You have to use lighter weight. You’ll get you heart rate to 100+ percent max after you get in shape.

This is where most people fuck up. Your heart has to support any new muscle fiber your body grows. If you don’t have a strong healthy heart your body won’t want to grow.

Also people fuck up on the meals. You have to keep your body anabolic by eating on a schedule every 2-3 hours esp if you’re not active with your job. Eat like jay cutler does but scale the size of the meals down. Also scale down the volume of the sets he does. He goes over 30 often. Natural that’s probably too much.

Steroids force your body to be anabolic. Even if your heart is weak. Even if you eat one big shitty meal a day. That’s probably why people on steroids age fast. They aren’t healthy enough to carry around that muscle and it puts strain on their heart and other organs.

But you can keep your body anabolic naturally. You just won’t be able to get much past 225 lbs if you’re avg height. But your muscles can still grow fast as shit. Natural doesn’t mean slow muscle growth. Getting into shape could take a while depending on your starting point. But once you’re in shape you should be able to grow muscle fast.

By in shape I mean at least level 8 on step mill for 25 minutes without using your arms. Or be able to hold your max heart rate for over 20 minutes is pretty good.

Don’t worry about eating super clean. Just eat every 2-3 hours a reasonable meal. Once you make great gains it’ll motivate you to clean up you diet. And with a lot of muscle mass, youll burn calories very fast. Don’t lose early on because you hate the food you’re eating because you’re trying to be really strict. Just eat often and eat a balanced diet.

@danielkibby No one really asks me this but I also find myself wondering how I don't get more compliments when I'm very, very impressed with my own progress. Each week I notice something new about myself because bulking and cutting is literally magic for your body.

Actually, scratch that, I remember someone asking me this when I was at a peak of a bulk cycle. I always treated that as the person saying, "You look big, you must be lifting." as a way to start conversation

@danielkibby Natties with impressive physiques without a doubt look like they lift when they have clothes on. If you've been facing that question for a while then I'd reconsider my training and nutritional methods.

Back