How do you keep motivated?

@rhettryder Motivation is possibly the worst thing to base your lifestyle off of. Motivation lasts maybe a week or 2 at most. Then, once the discomfort begins to set in people tend to revert back to their old habits of comfort.

We all have set backs whether internal or external, our fault or someone else's; set backs do not matter. What matters is whether we are making positive progress. Success is hardly linear. Just take the ebbs and flows as they come and get back to it.

Discipline is what you need. It is uncomfortable and that is why we all individually struggle with it. If it was easy, we would all be rocking awesome physiques.

@rhettryder Mental health is as important as physical health. Are you currently satisfied in other areas of your life? After a break up, I went into a deep depression and lost motivation to stay healthy. Eating a lot of shitty food that's high in sugar and sodium only made it worse.

Cutting out junk food was my first step, and then I hiked with friends on weekends. Take slow and be kind to yourself. Good luck!

@rhettryder I started a cut a few days ago. It's the first time I'm seriously dieting in 10 years and under very different circumstances (kids + carbs). I know I post Dr. Mike praise here a lot, but I found this video absolutely brilliant and very helpful as a framework for thinking about dieting:

I think from what you're saying it could help you. Watch through to the end though, as the later portions are more relevant to you but the earlier ones are necessary to see the framework

@rhettryder I follow a routine.

More and more, I've noticed people with this conflict seem to be addicted to their unhealthy habits. They refuse to fix their sleep. They refuse to stop buying unhealthy things. They want the benefits without the effort.

Only you know what unhealthy habits you're holding onto.

@rhettryder For me it was joining a class based gym. In my area there's a chain called "SETS Built" and it's kind of expensive ($129 a month) but for what you get it's worth it. I've never been this consistent with fitness. I go every other day or every 3rd day. There's no showers or locker rooms. 1 hour sessions every hour. You register ahead of time (max 30 people per class).

You show up, and the instructor tells everyone what to do - light warm up, then a medium warm up, then you tackle the remaining 5 or 6 zones. Usually targeting specific muscle groups. Both cardio and weight training -- ropes, dumbbells, medicine balls, body exercises, pull up bars, ski/bike/row, kettlebells etc.

The only down side is due to the number of reps and speed you're supposed to go at it's probably not the best for muscle bulking, but great for toning and general fitness & health. I'm nearly dead lying on the ground at the end of every 50 minute session.

I think there's more of these style of gyms springing up around the USA and probably other countries.

Just the fact that you register for the class beforehand (e.g. the night before) seems to be a huge factor that helps with the consistency -- while canceling is possible, you're less likely to do that if you've registered. And once you go enough times, eating healthier just kind of comes naturally because you want to perform better in the class.

@rhettryder At 37, I wake up in pain, I have to stretch every day just to stay mobile, and eating like crap makes me feel like crap. It will only get worse the older kids get.

And then there’s the reality that if I don’t stay motivated, I will likely end up using a cane/walker or worse, being permanently bent at a 90 degree angle when I’m older.

@rhettryder 2 year goal. Not something that makes sense. Something that makes you giddy. Work backwards and break it up into 6 month phases with measurable landmarks. Then you can just enjoy the process without worrying or getting distracted by how today feels. You know where you're going.