How to keep motivated to workout daily when stuck in the 9-5 corporate cycle?

@abnerpublishing
what tips do you have to making exercise a consistent priority when working a 9-5 schedule

Make a schedule and stick to it. I don't know what kind of exercise you are trying to do, but I go 4 days a week, which is about 3.5% of the total hours in a week. With a 9-5 job, you are at work for about 25% of the week, with another 25% for sleeping. You have more than 45% of the entire rest of your week for chores and relaxing. Figure out your schedule and stick to it, motivation can do whatever it feels like doing.

@abnerpublishing It’s important to understand that motivation will drop off eventually. You need to instil a routine and build discipline to make it happen.

If it’s important to you, then you’ll make time. Get up earlier or go to bed later?

@abnerpublishing 1) You don’t have to go every day.
2) Assuming you are referring to the gym, each session doesn’t need to be the gym - you could do something else active you find more fun and relaxing.
3) It’s important to stay active so if your job is sedentary, going to the gym and even just doing cardio can be important for your longevity.
4) Make it part of your routine and don’t see it as an option (unless something comes up and you need to). Seeing it as an option adds more decision making in your day which can lessen your motivation. Being okay with suboptimal gym time can also make it habitual for you.

@abnerpublishing Get it over with in the morning, buy one of those really loud manual alarms and set it up in another room. Then set up your own alarm 10 before so that you get up and turn it off. Set your workout clothes next to that alarm and turn on the lights. It’s about getting into a habit and not about motivation.

@abnerpublishing On weekdays, my mentality is that the day doesn’t end until I go to the gym. I go straight from the office at 5 pm no matter if I feel like it or not. I’m at home by 7 pm and that still gives me plenty of time for the things I need to do (no kids). On weekends my day doesn’t start until I’ve been to the gym, so I go first thing in the morning.

It’s not a matter of motivation, it’s all discipline and routine.

@abnerpublishing Hey OP - I want to start this by saying I am not trying to be rude. But you don’t have kids??? If you don’t have kids and can’t find time to work out, you just don’t want to work out. It’s not about motivation, its about discipline. I am not a gym rat, I work out usually 3 days per week. For a long time I was going on my lunch hour but I really needed better focus at work and not rushing off for 1.5 hours in the middle of the day so I decided going in the morning would work better for me. I absolutely did not want to start getting up at 530 in the morning but it’s such a great feeling to get home at 7 or 7:30 in the morning and have your work out done for the day.

If I tried to start working out in the evening I would probably fail miserably. Right now I’m especially stressed at work and I am positive that if 4:30 rolled around and I had not worked out yet, I wouldn’t be working out that day.

It’s all about finding out what works for you. You don’t need to work out an hour a day every day of the week. Work out 30 minutes 2 days a week and go from there.

@abnerpublishing Might not be applicable to you, but I work from home 3 days a week and that's when I workout more consistently. My gym opens at 7 and I have a daily meeting at 8, so going before work is not an option for me, but I do go during "lunch time", or at any other time if I'm having a different schedule at work, I also try to work out during weekends, but not always manage to do so.

@abnerpublishing try kettlebells for at home workouts...u could do them everyday with good scheduling or take a minimalist approach like Simple and Sinister...neat program w low time/space requirements...kettlebell exercises tend to be compound mukti joint "full body" movements..ex. swings, turkish getups, long cycle (similar to a clean and jerk), goblet or rqcked squats....u could do kb snatch, kb clean squat press, turkush get ups either same day or do obe each day and get a good workout...hits cardio and mobility as well...kettlebells were a gamechanger for me re home workouts...i keep my gym membership because I like going there but its really not needed..

Back