How much money per month do you invest on fitness?

@farmgal30 It really depends on what you want out of a gym. Planet fitness or good life are fine, but some people enjoy a more upscale experience with towel service, classes, amenities and frills.

@farmgal30 They take 20-25 classes at their gym per month, that’s $10 or less per class. If it’s a hobby of theirs and a form of fitness that’s really not bad, especially not if the class size is something advanced, specialized, or small-group. And also market-dependent.

I know people who spend $1000s/month on their hobbies, so I don’t really consider a fitness class to be too egregious. To each their own tho.

@farmgal30 Most expensive gym membership I've ever had was 110€ per 3 months. Current one is 190€/year offer they had when the gym opened and 300/year onwards. I guess there's some advantages for living middle of nowhere with cheap real estate.

@defd2000 My employer offers some benefits dollars towards a gym membership, and that covers 9/12 months at my gym. I go to one with a lot of racks and free weights. I end up spending $150/yr to cover those three months.

I don't really count protein powders since the cost per calorie/protein isn't significantly different from that of meat. My goal when eating meat is protein, so that's just part of my food budget. Likewise, my pre-workout is about the same cost as the k-cups I buy, so I don't really count that as a fitness expense.

I do supplement my cheap pre-workout with more creatine, beta alanine, and l-citrulline from Bulk Supplements, so I guess there's another $150ish a year.

I don't pay for fitness classes but did buy 5/3/1 literature since that's the program I use in the gym. Those one-time costs are around $100 total.

@defd2000 Good question! I base my lifestyle around activity so here's my best shot...

30 monthly rec family membership that includes ice skating and swimming in summer. So the kid has somewhere to play, swim and something to learn. And who doesn't feel like a kid when they're going down a water slide? Sweet place for all.
$360 yearly

Spend about $120 3 times per year on supplements (fish oil, protein, creatine, beet root powder).
$360 yearly

$50 for a 10-16 week program based around my training interest. Or I'll build my own.
$50 yearly

$150 every spring, summer, fall, winter for 2 days per week sport leagues.
$600 yearly

$65 monthly for the kid's ninja gym membership.
$780 yearly

Probably $400 yearly for various races around town.

New running shoes twice a year
$200

Adding it up...
360 + 360 + 600 + 50 + 780 + 400 + 200 =

$2090 per year

Not too bad considering how pivotal health and fitness is to my life