How much money per month do you invest on fitness?

@defd2000 Is that American dollars? I pay $29 and go to a really nice gym in a nice part of my city, free weights, machines, large building too. I only pay for my membership and maybe protein/creatine. Maybe we can count clothes and shoes but that’s not a monthly expense. So idk maybe my total is $50 a month. If you’re trying to save drop that gym membership, classes aren’t needed just watch YouTube videos on how to perform exercises with proper form. Then on the nutrition side, you don’t need special protein bars or foods. Just get some cheap whey protein and calculate how many grams you need based on your weight and that’s it.

@bayprinting I call it Los Angeles Dollars, where I have to pay way more for way less 🥲.

I think I might cut back my group classes and do the 12xmonth membership instead. And then do the strength training at home, once I get my forms good.

@defd2000 Even in LA that can’t be a regular priced gym, not at $225. I’m in a large and fairly expensive city as well and most gyms are around $50 except the ones actually aiming to attract rich customers. LA still has anytime fitness and a million other chains I bet. If your primary focus is saving money I’d just sign up at one of those. They all carry 90% of the same machinery, and as far as the food spending you don’t need all that stuff at all.

@defd2000 21€ for gym membership, 65€ for protein, maybe another 40€ for supplements, but those aren't that necessary. Not including if i buy some equipment as that's not regular.

So in total, 86-126€, less than I wasted on alcohol and smoking.

@defd2000 Not really sure how much I spend, these days I home gym it so the costs are fixed not monthly. If we assume I spent $8K over the course of the last 4 years that comes out to about $165/month plus the opportunity cost of a garage bay.
  • The cost of going to the gym is not just the membership. Do the math on how much gas you're using. Try to factor in wear and tear on your vehicle too unless the gym is walking distance or you're using public transportation. When I was going to my last gym I was only spending $60/month on my membership but over $150/month on gas alone. I was better off financially going to a more expensive gym that was closer.
  • Personally I'd continue to pay for group classes if I were you. After a year or so maybe try doing your own thing but if you feel unmotivated go back. Most people I know that get into fitness through group classes usually spin out and go into "fuck it" mode when they try their own thing. Personally I was able to keep motivated but that's not the norm. Better to spend a little extra and stay in shape than save a few bucks and go back to lethargy.
  • Protein powders and bars are very convenient but very expensive. Make your own snacks to bring. Pot roasts, chicken, pork shoulder, whatever. You'll save a boat load this way.

@defd2000 My gym is £35 per month and I spend probably £30-£40 per month on playing football.

Never really been into the personal training stuff, but I did recently spend £175 for 5 sessions of strength training for an expert to check out my technique on Squats, Deadlifts etc. which was definitely worthwhile

@defd2000 I think the question is, is this a "hobby" or is it an integrated part of your life. I have a gym membership, $40 /mo, and I also have protein powder and creatine (dirt cheap), but a lot of my meals are also planned to be high in protein, and I love veggies. So that's just my grocery budget.

I enjoy meal prepping, so that's just part of my routine. If you are balking at the costs, you might be doing too much at once, and you should think about, instead, what small lifestyle changes can I make and commit to in a 2-3 month period and keep forever.

It's better, healthier, and cheaper to acquire 4 new healthy habits a year, then try 12 expensive fads a year

@defd2000 $30/ month for two separate gym memberships. Plus I've bought a few pieces of home equipment over the years.

Chicken is pretty cheap compared to processed foods so I probably save money there. No supplements since most are overhyped scams. I literally could tell no difference in performance once I dropped them.

@defd2000 To be honest you seem to be actually using your gym membership so it's somewhat worth it.

If you can keep that same discipline at home then you can get really far. Free programs like starting strength or stronglifts can be awesome, you could also look at a bit more complete of a program like gzclp, some of them are found on apps (like boostcamp)

Or you could buy a program and follow it at home like some of the Mind Pump programs which i havent tried myself but heard decent things about, they have bundles and what not that can give you a good blueprint of what to do.

A pair of adjustable dumbells that go up to 90lbs would cost you about 2-3 months of that gym membership. And ajustable bench and a pullup bar, one or less month of that. If youre able to fit a half rack or squats stands it could be even more scalable in the long run but i understand the space constraint.

I really don't like going in the gym, i feel i waste too much time with people bothering me or power racks being busy etc so i prefer doing my stuff at home.

Last time i did the gym thing last year i was paying $CAD55 per month for a gym open 24/7. So i'd go late in the evening to avoid disturbances

@defd2000 I made an investment and built out a home gym years ago — power rack, bench, barbell, plates, kettlebells, dumbbells, etc.. Bought as much as I could used. I didn’t buy all of it at once, some right away and some over time added to it. I honestly have no idea how much I’ve spent over the years but definitely less than your gym membership.

I do still have the occasional expense: new gym clothes, improvements to the garage for storing gear, occasional new gym toy, etc.. I probably spent about $300 this past year in gym improvements and clothing. Or make that $500 if you include the money I spent to add drywall and paint to my garage gym area. The drywall and paint wasn’t necessary but it did make my gym look awesome which makes me more motivated to lift so it sorta counts. Also of course there is the protein powder and food.

P.S. I will say that training alone at home isn’t for everyone. I enjoy it but some people are better motivated in groups.

@defd2000 $75 a month on gym membership. I buy protein powder when it's on sale at Costco. Just bought three 5lb bags the other week so I'm set for about six months.

@defd2000 Gym membership $20 per month. Boxing gym membership $119. I by far more frequent the gym than boxing, but I really like boxing so it's worth it to me.

@lorien My gym is a boxing gym too. It's my favorite exercise so far! I've tried Pilates, OT, Spin classes. Boxing is such a great stress reliever.

@defd2000 I’d say look for a cheaper gym membership- I’m not sure where you’re located, but there are tons that offer a wide variety of classes and equipment for less than $100 a month. That will save you right there.

Supplements and protein powder/bars definitely can add up. I shop at Walmart for my groceries so that helps- I buy the frozen bagged shrimp, frozen fish, and frozen veggies. I buy canned chicken for my lunch. Store brand for many items.

It definitely can add up, but it’s still less expensive than doctors visits and treatments

@defd2000 I workout at home and outdoor park 200 metres from my house in the evenings after work. Home gym with a pair of dumbbells, yoga mat and elastic band. I go to the park for barefoot workouts and pull up bar. No other expenses except my regular meals.