How to boost metabolism when you’re in your mid-twenties

@jannacks Where will the body get energy kundi sa fats if konti lang ang kinakain?

On the extreme side, Christian Bale lost 60lbs in 4mos by eating less than 200 calories per day for his film, Machinist.

Maybe women will have less weight loss but still they will lose weight.

@tigger69 I’m referring about women with PCOS and with hormonal imbalances (di ko na clarify). Some women with PCOS did the traditional CICO, pero have trouble with losing fat because hormones are wack.

Sa PCOS, may increased insulin + insulin resistance ➡️ increased fat storage + less fat breakdown.

I am not saying CICO will not work (it works), but it’s will be more challenging for women, especially the ones with hormonal imbalance and insulin resistance.

Hormones such as estrogen, cortisol, and progesterone, are fluctuating a lot in women due to the menstrual cycle. Their levels affect women from mood to chances of getting pregnant to even how fat is burned and distributed in the body.

Extreme caloric deficit is not for everyone, unless it is medically advised, highly monitored and ok ang sustainability.

@michaellin Baka you are not measuring it right. Try to look for food sa myfitnesspal with green check. Also, you are not to subtract the exercises. Increase protein, 1g for every lb of your weight. If kakastart lang magcalorie deficit, matagal talaga mag effect for me, mga after 3-4 months bago ko nakita effect (pure calorie def, walang any exercise). Ngayong cal def ako + gym and run, i saw results na after a month. Patience lang din talagaaaa and try to keep track of your cal def, mas oks sakin weekly target din kesa daily.

@michaellin Gaining muscle mass from my personal experience.

I would also sneak in more cardio pero not in the gym more on sa steps, eg taking the longer route to work, using the stairs more often.

@michaellin i use cronometer app for tracking. baka mali input mo sa food like cooked or raw.

i weigh all my food cooked, pero if sa app nakalagay raw, i convert it to raw which is around approx 75% pag meat.

if i hit a plateau and not moving yung weight ko for 2 weeks, binabawasan ko 100 calories. rinse and repeat.

also may fluctuation yung weight throughout the day. so I always weigh myself every morning pagkagising after dumumi or umihi.

so far effective saken for the past 3 months.

@michaellin I'm already in my early 30s. Started off 78kg. 5 feet height. Had 30 mins cardio (mine was cycling) for almost 6 months with calorie deficit. Weight was down to 65kg after 6 months--- then saka ako nag focus on building my muscles-- weight lifting 1 hr then 10 mjns cardio lang-- i make sure to it na intake ko ng protein na hihit ko.
Current weight is 59kg, from XXL to Medium or Large na size ko sa damit. Visible lesser fat percentage plus-- abs are already showing.

Given my age, calorie deficit + exercise + hit that protein intake worked for me.

@michaellin First, don’t be discouraged. Weight can be influenced by various factors like muscle gained, water retention, etc. Continue putting in the effort in your workout. Research and practice proper form in your exercises, try to push yourself to lift as heavy as you can with good form or increase the repetitions of your exercises if you can.

Second, as many have said, diet plays a very big factor. You already said you’re tracking your calories. That’s a step in the right direction. Weighing your food allows you to make adjustments and researching the calories of the food you consume allows you to make more informed choices.

Try to cook your meals if possible. The reason I’m saying this is if hindi tayo yung nagluluto, possible kasi na maraming na aadd na calorie-dense ingredients na di natin namamalayan. Things like butter, oils, sugar, cream, mayonnaise are just some examples neto.

Continue looking at healthier alternatives as snacks. I read your comment na examples ng snacks na cinoconsume mo is kwek kwek or cheese sticks. These are high calorie foods (fried and battered yung kwek kwek, plus yung cheese na gamit for cheese sticks are also pretty high in sugar and fat plus fried din). Nothing wrong with eating these per se pero you have to understand that they could pack in more calories than the “busog factor” they provide.

Don’t be discouraged and understand na fitness and health is a lifetime of learning. It’s a journey with lots of highs and lows, and tons of trial and error. Keep going lang. :D

@michaellin hi im 26M, 59kg body weight, 176.1cm in height. my metabolic age is 19 as per the body composition analysis results that ive done at st lukes bgc. i’ve been taking 500mg metformin extended release at bedtime. i take it as needed, not daily. taking metformin even for non-diabetic patients can increase metabolism. this drug is also used as off label for PCOS, anti aging and weight loss. research more on how to improve your gut health for optimum weight loss

@michaellin Yes, Rx siya, my preferred brand is (Glumet-XR) 500mg Tablet, taken once after dinner. this can delay the onset of diabetes given that you have risks of having one as per family history. You can purchase it sa small, independent drugstores, they will dispense it since maintenance med ito. I only take it. if madami akong sweets nakain or uminom ako ng softdrinks during the day. Be informed lang na Gastrointestinal distubance is the common side effect of taking this drug. You might experience loose bowel after you wake up in the morning, but this side effect will taper off

@michaellin i find it hard to believe that you’re not losing weight if you’re religiously doing what you said unless you have an underlying health condition.

things that can help:
  • good sleep
  • count the oil that you use
  • i think you’re overtraining. get a rest day or two
  • cook your own meals

@gypht I also find it hard to believe na di nababawasan weight ko kasi before on my early 20s, mabilis bumaba timbang ko.

Thank you for the suggestions! Will also try it. 🙇‍♀️

(edit: I just remembered. I was diagnosed late last year with a fatty liver. Not sure if isa siya sa factor kung bat nahihirapan din akong magpapayat)

Back