How to incorporate 10k steps daily

vincentodiaz

As the title suggests, I’m looking for ideas on how to incorporate daily 10k steps as a daily habit. I’m finding it hard to fit it w/ my current lifestyle due to the following:
  • I live in Pasig. Feeling ko instead na health benefit, hazard pa yung 10k from all the pollution I’d absorb from walking.
  • No budget for gym. New baby just welcomed the family. Potential gym membership fund went to diapers.
Ayun, if you would be in my shoes, how will you approach it? Ideas are welcome! :)

@vincentodiaz Just started with 10k steps rin. Only missed 1 day in the last 5 days. I live in a condo and may nearby mall so i walk sa mall window shopping etc. If by day’s end kulang parin I just walk around my place while watching netflix or playing music.

@bugznelson I've lived around Makati CBD and BGC in Taguig. To say the entire Metro Manila is not walkable is fallacy I think, because in each city there are pocket areas that are certainly walkable. Walkable enough to complete the 10K steps. Sorry, OP, we digressed.

@jonfromminnesota Technically all cities are “walkable”, but I like to think of walkable cities as cities designed for the pedestrian - meaning slow speed limits, option for multimodal transport, complete sidewalks, lighted streets, and access to other cities via walking.

BGC is the closest, but you’re still quite likely to get hit by a bus or car. Legazpi / Salcedo are walkable…. On weekends.

So while yes, anyone can complete 10k steps a day outside - it’s not a safe experience. Pick your poison though!

@vincentodiaz if you're lucky enough to work from home, my secret trick is a desk riser + a walking pad to convert my analog desk into a makeshift standing desk.

i've been averaging between 20k-25k steps per day the past month with relative ease without it being too fatiguing or eating into my recovery from resistance training.

i find working while walking to be a lot more conducive to my overall productivity than watching netflix/youtube. i walk at at a fairly slow speed (4.0kph) so i can still type, and i don't have the feeling that i'm just wasting a day away with leisure activities.

@clintpj Yes WFH din! Grabe ang impressive ng 20k lol. That’s my ideal scenario eh, 10k+ steps para hindi interfering sa resistance training recovery. Would you recommend the cheap walking pads in Lazada/Shopee?

@vincentodiaz unfortunately i don't have any experience with the cheap walking pads. i do have online training clients who went with the cheaper options (6-8k) and it works well naman based on their reports — just not sure how long it'll last!

and it's relatively easy to rack up steps with the standing desk hack! if you're walking at a slow enough speed (i started at 3.0 kph, and worked my way up to 4.0 to 4.5 kph) before you know it 10k steps has passed by.

i try to do 2 sessions per day and 3 sessions if it's rest day from the gym. fat's been melting off for this cut!

@martinsg the one i got was the "xiaomi" version (walkingpad c1 or something) which i bought during the first wave of lockdowns for 15k or something.

there's plenty of other cheaper options now though, but unfortunately i don't have any personal experience with them myself!

Back