how to make a proper workout plan for PPL ?

@jenfer On the contrary, if I didn’t mention his name, my routine would look simplistic.

And he recommends training 6 major movements - Vertical and horizontal push pull, hip hinge and leg variation. Find a favourite exercise in each type and do that. It’s way simpler than doing incline, flat, decline and fly for chest day then front raise, overhead press, db lateral, upright row and rear delts and rope push down, diamond push up and skullcrushers for triceps..

It’s simple 2 exercises for chest, 2 for shoulder and 2 for triceps.. 4 hard working sets so it’s not for advanced athlete. Body builders do mostly bro split of variation of those doing multiple movements for the same muscles

@texasjo I didn't mean to make any comment regarding your training. I just wanted to add a cautionary comment to other readers, who might try to follow other fitness influencer's training. Some like Jay Cutler train two times a day.

@jenfer Yeah I get your point. The sole reason I choose my split because it’s simple and no nonsense, not like athlenX where I don’t understand any type of form for the movement. Saket has a simple split so do I follow

@texasn Beginners do full body. Intermediate upper lower. Advanced trainees go for PPL or bro split.

Do PLP instead of PPL. In PPL the back day impacts deadlifting type exercises on the coming Leg day, negatively.

@johnyork Exactly, there is no clear definition of it. I don't think full body workouts do justice to any parts. There isn't much variation to do in lower, while upper has multiple complex parts, it's like giving 1 hour to solve 2 questions and another hour to solve 10 questions

@suzann mene to 5 months ke baad chest tricep,back biceps, legs shoulder start kiya tha tab bhi badiya results mil gaye ab full ppl per switch kr diya

@johnyork Please have a look at this explanation

As a beginner, you make newbie gains on whatever split. In #6 Mike mentions whole body training for beginners. I have explained this in more detail in multiple of my previous posts.

Thing is, you train for 10 years with any split, you will reach your genetic potential. The point of proper programming is to reach that potential efficiently in lesser time, say 5-6 years.

Please have a look at the following discussions:

@jenfer thanks for so much detail

I'm gonna do a full body from monday. How many days should I train? I don't do deadlifts because its risk to reward ratio is not good. Can you pls also recommend me what exercises to do. ager daily same parts ke kerunga to wo recover kaha kr payenge? recover time to 48 hours ka hota hena..oh wait I can do 3 days per week right? bus yahi h ke wo maja chala jayega

upper lower se lower upper se jaada developed nhi lagega?

edit: strength to meri achi ho gai h ab bench 63 kg ka hoke 55 for 10 reps lag jaate h 20-20 db ,60 kg shoulder machine press, 60 kg squats (ik ye baaki se comparatively jaada hona chaiye) saare ek dam perfect form se ho jaati h kya yahi ful body krne ke baad kr paunga?

@johnyork First off, if you are happy with your progress and still progressing, then you don't need to change anything.

Now if you feel like you have plateaued or your progress is very slow then it's a good idea to re evaluate your programming.

The best full body programming is one day on and one day off. This gives you 3.5 days a week. I am doing 3 days a week atm, because in India gyms are closed on Sunday. Sometimes I go Monday_morning, Wed_morning, Fri_morning and Sat_night, that is 4 sessions in a week. I keep the 4th session low in intensity, because I am not fully recovered from Fri_morning session.

I don't do deadlift either, it is an Olympic lift for strength training. RDL is far better for muscle growth. You have to decide if your glutes are lacking or quads. I personally do two light sets of barbell RDL before 3-4 sets of squat, this warms up my glutes for squat. Squat hits your hams, glutes and quads all, so you don't need much RDL. RDL is good for overall posterior chain development.

For full body training, go with incline press, Lat pull down and squat as your main movements. 3-4 hard sets of each exercise in one session. Sprinkle in arms, core, RDL, calves or other lagging parts. E.g. I do flared elbow cable pulls before bench press to active scapula retraction.

You try 3.5 days per week full body routine for 2-3 weeks. Keep every session 45mins to 1 hour. Superset everything, otherwise take longer rest and go for 1.25 hour session. If you can recover fully from one session in 24hours, i.e. if you don't feel sore/tired(CNS) on Tuesday after Monday session, then that implies you have reached Intermediate level. If you are sure, you are intermediate level then go for upper lower split (U - L - Rest - U - L - Rest).

With regards to strength, fully body should be superior for strength, because frequency is higher, e.g. the Bulgarian full body 6 days a week is used by Olympic lifters. In terms of muscle gain, make sure your time under tension for one set is around 45 seconds. Although, total volume is the main factor for hypertrophy, i.e. you can do 6 sets of 6 reps and 3 sets of 12 reps to achieve similar results, but the reason for 45 secs is you wanna spend around 4 seconds for on rep. 1 sec concentric, 0.5s hold, 2sec eccentric and 0.5 sec hold. Controlled eccentrics build more muscle -- more muscle damage + 70% extra strength.

My motto is, "do the least amount of work to get maximum results". If you lift relatively lighter weight and achieve similar muscle growth, that's better for your joint and longevity(injury risk).

@jenfer
Now if you feel like you have plateaued or your progress is very slow then it's a good idea to re evaluate your programming.

I dont think so, idk how or why I'm getting stronger drastically like I'm able to increase 2.5 plates more frequently. Thats a sign that I'm a beginner according to Dr. Mike.

Im up for trying new splits because...why not if you are getting more gains with less time

I don't do deadlift either, it is an Olympic lift for strength training

yeah thats what my trainer told me (not a personal one)

Sprinkle in arms, core, RDL, calves or other lagging parts.

I have to alt between heads right? eg hammer, preacher. and what about shoulder?....1 head for each day? like on mon- press, wed- lateral, fri- rear delts

I'm gonna go with 1.25 hours because thats the only thing in my life rn which I truely enjoy

but the reason for 45 secs is you wanna spend around 4 seconds for on rep. 1 sec concentric, 0.5s hold, 2sec eccentric and 0.5 sec hold. Controlled eccentrics build more muscle -- more muscle damage + 70% extra strength.

Ye to starting se he kr raha hu because yt waghera per phele yahi dekta rheta tha to ye to pata chal he gaya tha low weight ,slow movement,perfect form >high weight bad form

Ive watched that full video of Dr. Mike that you shared yesterday he was telling the same thing that when you will reach adv lvl your joints will be in danger because of high weights

@johnyork I think you have got a good idea of everything. If you do incline press, front delts get enough work. Lat pull will hit rear delt enough. I personally do lateral raises only, with thumb rotated inwards and upper body bent over slightly. Shoulder/military press hit front delt more.

With biceps what I do is turn my wrists clockwise on the concentric and anticlockwise on the eccentric. We don't need to separately train the long head and short until we become advanced.

The main limitation of full body is we can do only so much in one session. This limitation becomes an advantage for beginners, because they don't need to focus in subtle prioritizations. When we train the whole body, it triggers a cascade of physiological events in the body, one of em is a decent systemic muscle building signal. When we do isolation exercise, that sends a site specific signal. The more the compound movements we have, bigger the systemic signal.

You can take core and calves out of the sessions and do them on rest day. You can also go for a 15-30 mins slow jog or a couple of 100meter sprints. This will improve your cardio, which will help in high rep squats. But keep cardio very limited to avoid cns fatigue.

In regards to your lifts, if you are really doing 60kg squat for around 45 secs, then I think you have proportionally greater fast twitch fibres, that would mean you are somewhat not good in long jogs(say 5-10km) or you have overall good genetics for sports performance in general or you have olympic lifter type cns activation. Olympic lifters can use 90-95% of their full potential strength.

You can chuck in mobility work on rest days or spend some time reading human anatomy, if you have ambitions to become a coach or pro athelete.

I think you don't need me much, you are good in researching yourself. I got most of my knowledge from mainly the mind pump show and some other podcasts.

@jenfer
I think you have got a good idea of everything. If you do incline press, front delts get enough work. Lat pull will hit rear delt enough. I personally do lateral raises only, with thumb rotated inwards and upper body bent over slightly. Shoulder/military press hit front delt more.

I forsure took a 1 year gap but never stopped learning

I personally do lateral raises only, with thumb rotated inwards and upper body bent over slightly.

good way to hit both dealts

With biceps what I do is turn my wrists clockwise on the concentric and anticlockwise on the eccentric

I remember on short that I watched maybe a year ago he was saying that this curl was useless ..well I'll look for more

You can take core and calves out of the sessions and do them on rest day. You can also go for a 15-30 mins slow jog or a couple of 100meter sprints. This will improve your cardio, which will help in high rep squats. But keep cardio very limited to avoid cns fatigue.

yeah I've started playing football again on weekends. I dont think so its limited I play till I cant run anymore.... I just enjoy it.

if you are really doing 60kg squat for around 45 secs

With little support I was able to do 8 reps on wed (4rth set )

I dont think so I have that good genetics. I was that skinny kid that looked like a skeleton with visible ribs. I used to do home workout before joining the gym because I knew I wont even be able to lift a 5 kg dumbbell or bar although that never really helped much because my diet was shit

I think you don't need me much

Aapne itni information to de he de or kya he chaiye THANKS A LOT

@jenfer i never had this problem cause i don’t do deadlifts. i feel like it’s the type of exercise that i should do in someone’s supervision first to learn but these local trainers don’t give a f. plus i don’t have a gym bro to help me learn either. But while doing some research i’ve found the best solution for the problem u mentioned is putting pull day first and get rest in between. So ur average week would pull-push-legs-rest and repeat.