How to sleep for 8 hours?

@mcmatt Thanks for sharing. My diet is primarily legumes and fresh veggies. I don't know if the way I cook is something I need to look at. I usually overcook my veggies to the point where they stop being veggies and turn into a gooey blob. Lol.

@trichakra Try 300 mg of magnesium bisglycinate and 1000 mg of ashwaghanda before sleep. It really helps me to sleep well. Melatonin has a negative effect on my sleep. I always wake up in the middle of the night after taking it, no matter how much it was.

The one big meal could be a problem, too. Maybe your body has to digest all this stuff in a longer time frame and the amount of food and water is the reason you wake up. You told us that you often have to pee in the night. There are many voices nowadays that critique the omad lifestyle. I tried intermittent fasting and it was terrible. After listening to many podcasts and reading stuff, I came to the conclusion it seemingly is not the best solution and was hyped too much.

Last thing: Maybe try to workout in the evening. I train at 6 o‘clock and feel hammered after. The strength training (4 times a week) really wears me out and I‘m tired when I go into bed.

Good luck to you! 🙏🏻

@primary0 This is and interesting observation which I didn't consider. Workout in the evening I've been avoiding because the gyms are over crowded as compared to in the mornings. And a heavy diet 2-3 hours before bed. Hmmm.. Very interesting indeed. Maybe I could try a mid sized meal in the afternoon and a very light meal in the evening. Let me give that a try before trying out the supplements.

@trichakra You might not need 8 hours. That's more of an average than a rule. If you are waking up rested and alert, why force yourself to sleep longer? My husband is like that. He is asleep around 10pm up by 4am ready to start the day.

If you wake up feeling tired that's another matter. When I have insomnia, I find it helps to get out of bed and do something to help myself relax. For me that might mean listening to music or working on a crafting project ( If my hands are busy, my mind can be quiet.) When I am tired again, I go back to sleep.

@cameos Not really tired. I wake up fresh. I get exhausted or feel really sleepy only around 7 PM. I fight it for a couple of hours so that I don't wake up at ungodly hours. If I wake up at 2.30ish, then I feel sleepy around 4PM ish.

@amn I work from 7.30AM to 5.00PM. I do feel sleepy around lunch time 2.30ish. I have my last cup of coffee for the day around that time.

And yes, I'll visit my GP.

@trichakra You might want to call it earlier on the coffee. A lot of folks will clear caffeine fast enough to be fine, but if you want to get to bed by 8:30-9, I would cut it off at noon or possibly earlier.

If needing to pee is an issue, you could restrict fluid intake even earlier. You'll wake up a little more dehydrated, but you can correct that quickly throughout the morning.

@amn I usually have a most of my water before 5.00PM (about 3 Litres (101 fl.oz) 500ml (17oz) to 750ml (25oz) when I workout and rest during office hours. Water intake is usually 30 mins after dinner around 250ml (8oz)at 7 PM ish. When I wake up to pee at 2.30AM, or 3.00AM I'm parched and that's where I take a few gulps of water and try going back to sleep.

@trichakra Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat wrt to bladder size. But I don't have trouble getting back to sleep. This probably doesn't work for most people, but something I like to do is wear a sleep mask. I just got one that also has headphones built-in. I'll usually play a podcast that's calming to me, use a 10-20 min sleep timer. Works almost every time.

@trichakra Do you consume any alcohol in the evening? Alcohol is a sleep disruptor. Also, you should consider a sleep tracking device to determine the quality of your sleep. I'm a Garmin user. Five hours of good sleep quality is better than seven hours of poor sleep quality.