hybrid functional strength programs? also... avoiding the big 4 nonsense

@sharkbait13 I really don’t understand your argument of the “big 4 are too dangerous, but Strongman odd lifts are great!” You are way more likely to get injured doing odd lifts then you are a basic lift. I’ve seen serious injuries at Strongman competitions. Also you are against OHP yet is a major part of Strongman.

I personally have nothing against functional training nor strongman training. Do whatever you like to do. Just note that it’s not inherently better or safer than the big 4. It’s just different.

@andrewm12 That is not my argument, please stop putting words in my mouth. At no time, ever, did I say the big 4 are dangerous. I can't do barbell squats, I do other squat forms.

I've never done OHP, said I'd be open to it, but from what I've seen it is hard to execute well and you can hurt yourself

@sharkbait13 All strength is functional though. The "big 3" and OHP has carryover to real life/everyday applications. Some folk cannot apply it appropriately and that's okay too.

People selling you a specific plan or exercise because it's more functional than another usually have something to gain from it.

@sharkbait13 I think the reason people dismiss it, is for a few reasons. First, if you do the basics, you'll be strong enough for the things you describe, and can you really construct a program that encompasses every possible 'functional' scenario that you can apply progressive overload for?

I don't think you have to do these things to be fit, or jacked, but the typical lifts are pretty safe if you aren't stupid, there is a lot of information to make progress, and have a track record of working out.

If you do your program you'll be fine really, like perhaps your risk of injury is higher depending on what weird exercises you do for your functional part but overall it's whatever, the harder part is just about doing your things consistently, rather than being dogmatic about the particulars one way or the other.

@sharkbait13 It’s not the specific exercises. It’s the movement patterns that are important. Hip hinge, squat, press and pull up are fundamental human movements. There are loads of variations of each. The big four are potentially the most effective for the general population but may not be best for an individual.

@joyincite Yeah, it's that last part of "may not be best for an individual" that people on Reddit tend to completely dismiss and refuse to look past. There is only one path to success for them and they don't see themselves as the zealots they are when they discuss it

@sharkbait13 I garden too and traditional compound movements paired with mobility work is great. Being able to lift and carry a 40lb bag of mulch is not that different from deadlifting, pressing, farmer's walk, etc. The mobility drills help with bending, kneeling, squatting etc.

If you want to run a 7.5 minute mile just pick up the nike running app and do a mix of long runs and sprint training to improve your mile time.

@borisv I can already do a 7.5 minute mile, more meant that I want to be able to retain or improve cardio. Don't think I could do 3 miles right now, e.g in 22.5, would gas. My endurance isn't what it used to be, not that ~5k is "endurance" to begin with.

I do single arm carries and such. Not farmers carries because I want to focus on imbalance, but you're on the right track for sure

@sharkbait13 The movements are “kings” for good reason. That’s not to say there can be zero substitutions, its just that the majority of people asking questions in lifting subs are new, and/or want the “most optimal” path to strength and size or whatever goals they have. Swapping out squats for single leg leg press is not going to completely negate any and all strength and size.

As for “functional” training, a functional movement is anything that supports your sport or activity of choice. For a sedentary person over 60, getting out of a chair is functional. For a competing body builder, curls are functional. If the idea of lifting awkward objects at weird angles is what you define as functional, you would be interested in training like a strongman most likely (just potentially without the getting as strong as humanly possible portion).

@lyndsey Yeah I know they are the kings, and I do the ones which I can. But my back injuries won't let me traditional highbar squats w/o pain quite yet and probably ever.

I like the idea of looking into the strongman stuff. Thanks

@sharkbait13 You might try front squats, easier to progressive overload than goblet squats I think. My buddy has back pain from back squats but he can do front squats. Not super comfortable tbh but they work well!

@mitsuha I didn't mind front squats either when I've done them. I feel like I have a bit of anterior pelvic tilt from cycling/sitting as well, so front squats might be a bit more compatible with that -but that is entirely speculation.

I'll give them a shot again eventually.

Honestly I did weighted lunges the other day, like a 100+... murderous exercise. Forgot how hard they can be.

@curtswill Hard on muscles is fine, compression of spine is not fine. Especially given where the bulge is.

I would try them, not regularly do them forever if it didn't make sense. I'm open to trying things and also open to dropping things which are proven to not work for me.

Back