I‘m tired of not getting better at pull-ups

@yhjmkiop Does it make sense, though? With weight I‘ll probably only do 3x 1-3 reps or so…feels like not enough volume? And should I go to failure every time?

@greg67 So as far as i understand, if you want to build strength, increase in weight is always better than increase in volume. Go up in weight and work yourself back up to around 3×6-8 reps then go up again etc. Usually as i understand higher rep amounts or more sets are more for increasing muscle size rather than focussing on strength.

Edit: lots of typos

@kingcato Funny because I just read about the russian fighter pull up program which seems to be a grease the groove kind of approach - so high volume, low(er) intensity. Now I‘m torn between those two options 😂

@greg67 I mean it seems like on the volume front you're facing an impasse, so might as well try the weight approach and see if it works, worst case you're right where you started no?

@greg67 Both can cause injury, high volume can strain connective tissue.

I read your post and it's me, just for more years.

I've had success with grease the groove for pushups, training four times a week. I avoided injury by building up a little slower than standard prescription, so 5 sets per day for one week, 6 the next, up to 10.

I'm inspired to try grease the groove for 10 sets 4 times a week now.

Thanks for the thread!

@greg67 I am not doing this on a scientific basis of any kind but actually I have gone over to cycling between weighted and unweighted pull ups as well as different grips. If you can do 3x8 unweighted, you should be able to do 3x5 or so with an extra 5kg. If not, try 2.5 kg.

And personally, I go to failure every time. The days when I can't do a single pull up after my cooling down cardio are the ones when I know I have given everything I've got.

By the way, 8 clean bodyweight pull ups are awesome for a girl. And I don't mean that in a condescending way, I just happen to know many strong women who can't do a single pull up.

@yhjmkiop Thank you!

Now, I can‘t do 3x8, it‘s more like 8, 6, 5 or so. I‘m also not happy with my form in general but that‘s another story. I‘m now torn between a grease the groove and adding weights approach. Anyway, thanks for the insight :)

@greg67 You are very welcome. I acknowledge anyone who goes through the pull up hardships with me :). It's a killer exercise, but there's no other one that makes me feel quite as great as they do.

@greg67 You could also do weighted pullups/chinups. Shoot for 5 reps and keep upping the weight. Accessories can also help.

Right now I'm doing 15 sets per week ABA, BAB style workout... Weighted chinups on A, barbell row on B and sprinkle in bicep + rear delt accessories to help since lats see enough focused work.

@greg67 Could try by 3s or do assisted in 5s and progress up until 3x5 - 5x5 normal pulls, then progress to 5 lbs ->7.5 etc.

You can choose chin up, pullups and neutral. Neutral and chin will make the progression easier with more bicep leverage so easier to get to that 5 rep range.

Also you can work in days of strength building sets on 1 week day.... Like start loading up your pockets with stuff to build confidence. I wore my belt, phones and keys to build confidence and then I was like... Yeah I can probably do a 5. Maybe just do 3x4,5 or even work to failure for 3 sets.

@greg67 compounds - barbell/dumbell rows, t bar rows, pendley rows

machines - lat pull downs, seated rows, something for your upper back

other back movements are nice but might not work towards pull-ups necessarily.

i would like to add its very very difficult to isolate or focus rear delts using bodyweight movements. it would be beneficial for most calisthenics athletes to throw in some rear delt focused work using weights or a machine.

@greg67 Also! Stop doing max pullups in this phase. So if your max is 10 (say), do 5-6 sets of seven or so. This will help you pack in more volume which will drive adaptation. I know the feeling of just wanting to go all out to make something happen, but back off the max rep sets, up the total number of sets and total total reps and watch the magic happen. :)

@greg67 3-8 is a lot of variation, can you maintain the same reps in each set?

Going for your max on the first set generally affects the other sets and you end up with less total volume, try to train 3-1 reps away from failure

Do you deload? After some time of consistent training the body accumulates fatigue and is good to take a light week or a week off, when the fatigue dissipate you come back stronger

Here is how I normally organize a training block, let's say I can do 10 pullups when totally fresh:

Week 1: 3x7

Week 2: 3x8

Week 3: 3x9

Week 4: 3x10

Week 5: Deload and retest your max

@emdee123 It depends on the day and the set. So first might be 8, then 6, then 4 or so. Also I was cutting (reps increased towards the 8) but then got sick, therefor stopped cutting until I was recovered, got heavier (so now more at the 3 rep end range). Can be counted as deload, too, I guess.
I‘m actually trying to rebuild my max capacity, so to speak. But still, I‘m not progressing much overall.

Also, it‘s quite hard for me to not go to failure bc I just love to see where I‘m at and love pushing (or pulling in this case) myself 🥲
I just gotta contain myself. So thanks for the advice!!

@greg67 I understand, another thing, when you say you rest 3minutes between supersets you rest in-between exercises, like pull-up, rest 3m, pike pushup, rest 3m and repeat or do you do pull-up and pike pushup without rest and rest 3m before the other superset?

@emdee123 No rest between pikes and pull ups - because I‘m short on time, I‘m trying to squeeze in as much as possible. So it‘s pikes, pull ups, 3min rest, repeat