I’m male 22 never worked out and want too but dunno if it’s too late as Ive smoked and am sedentary since i was 9

badgerstate

Hey I’m 110kg 6 foot 4 and I am unable to do a push-up my whole life I never ate vegetables or fruit all I’ve eaten is meat and junk my whole life even through primary school I was sedentary I never involved myself in sports or even tag i played basketball when I was 5 till 9 but got bored and started playing video games and I never ran or did any type of workout during puberty i never really walked anywhere either and if I walk more than a few km now I have to take breaks cause I sweat too much and feel exhausted but I want to get better for my family and my son because he’s just shy of 3 he weighs barely anything and I find it hard to carry him in the shops my arms get fatigued it’s so embarrassing to talk about guess that’s why I came here I just wanna know what workouts/diet should I do in order to get better for my family fastest.. Any positive feedback would be great thanks.

@badgerstate Ok you are young and really even if you were old its never too late... push ups are difficult for you , then try incline pushups use two chairs or a table . Feet on the ground and hands on the chairs/table and do sets of 10 to 20 reps ... you're trying to activate the muscles before you can build them they got to be woken up... get dumbbells that are manageable weight and use them! High repetition low weight... theres a ton of tutorials on YouTube and most importantly you have to commit yourself to the lifestyle change... 10 years ago at 44 I started with pushups /dips monday curls and standing row's Wednesday and repeating every other day ... I did 100 reps of each exercise... now Ive built a home gym and I love the hobby... take a before pic and the go hard on your workouts and in 90 days take another pic ... you will see the differences ! Good luck to you!

@badgerstate Dude, you have already taken the most important step. You’ve realized that you need to make a change and you are doing something about it. Stop y talking down on yourself and be proud. You are taking steps to improving your life for not only yourself, but your family.

Now onto the actual topic. You’ve already made the realization that activity is hard. You’ve spent 22 years being sedentary. It’s going to take some time to change that. Take things slowly and give your body time to adjust.

You said after a few km you get tired and have to take a break. Now you know what you are capable of. Go out and walk 2km. Next time you go, try to walk 2.5 km. Slowly build up. Take breaks if needed.

Actual suggestion addressing your question:
  1. Stop think about trying to do things “the fastest.” Fitness is a journey. Learn to celebrate the small improvements and changes.
  2. As for workouts in your current shape, just be active. Literally just get up and walk. Do jumping jacks. Play a sport. Ride a bike. Swim. ANYTHING.
  3. As for diet, you’ve already stated that you know what’s wrong. Eat more unprocessed foods. Eat fresh fruit and vegetables. Eat lean protein, healthy fats, complex carbs, and just overall nutrient dense foods. It’s 100% fine to have treats that may seem “unhealthy.” But make them treats, not staples of your diet.
  4. This is the big one. Be kind to yourself. Enjoy the little bits of progress you make and know that what you are doing is more than most. You are making a change for the better. That in itself is amazing.
If you want any more specific information on diet or training, I’m an open book. But following those few steps will get you pretty far.

@badgerstate Of course you can, and you should. Go slowly but consistently. Walking would be a great start. I believe the key to fitness is to find a physical activity that you'll enjoy. You can make walking more enjoyable by listening to music or podcasts for example. Once you get a little bit more in shape, you should find a club to practice something with other people, it could be tennis, swimming, martial arts, dancing, football, anything, as long as you enjoy it. Lifting weights is great but it's not the only way.

@badgerstate It's never too late. You can start by eating better, going outside and walking (even with your son), doing some stretching and isometric exercises. Gym memberships are fairly inexpensive. If you can afford one, hire a personal trainer for 30 minute sessions once a week (some people on this sub think trainers are a waste, but I have had a great experience).

Good luck, and keep us updated.

@badgerstate Bro, did they ever teach you about run-on sentences. Anyway, for now check out Al Kavadlo’s book “Get Strong” it’s a pretty decent body weight workout program that should get you to point where you can do pushups and pull-ups.

@badgerstate Bruh you’re only 22. You’re just starting your adult life and you’re in a good weight for 6’4 to definitely burn it and build muscle on. Start going to the gym and work out, lots of online content for working out from instagram, youtube and even tiktok. No such thing as too late. Too late is if you don’t do anything and your health goes to shit. Start asap and eat clean, eating clean makes a world of difference. You can also indulge but keep it in moderation. Good luck man.

@badgerstate Have you ever seen pics of rest homes where 90 year old people, even in wheelchairs do some type of exercise?

It's never too old for you to move around and do what you can for exercise.

@badgerstate It's never too late. At 22 absolutely not. Don't read this like you should wait another while though.

You are so young you can still look forward to a career within fitness if you so wish, that's how "late"it is.

But you HAVE TO get up and moving, like today. If you want to, write me a PM and I will do my best to help you work out a plan, because I want to help you.

'Working out" might start by taking walks and do some easy exercises. You have to start where you are.

However you want to play this, I wish you the best of luck.

@badgerstate Never too late mate!

Start small with what you can do. Your progress, your challenges and your goals should fit YOU. Don't compare yourself. Dreaming big is ok but only if you know it's a journey. Here are some stuff you can do :
  • Snack less or lighter. For example switch soda for diet soda if quitting cold turkey is hard !
  • Avoid transformed food and try to have in your plate : a quarter of protein, a quarter of grains, half vegetables or fruits.
  • Find on YouTube like Jeff Nippard's programs. Start with 2-3 sessions per week and stick to it! Find on google alternatives for exercises that are too much for you and come back to them once you built the strength.
  • Try walking a bit more. Like schedule 5 min in the day to walk.
  • Progressive overload. Whether it's the weights, the reps or anything else, progressively and constantly increase the challenge. Your 5min daily walk can turn into 5:30, then 6 etc. Up to 30 min! Soda becomes diet soda and then fruit juice and finally water! The goal is to take it slow but improve everytime you can.
  • Have small manageable goals for the days where it's hard. Somedays you won't feel like it. Maybe it's a 1min walk. Or a 30 seconds walk. But do it. Avoid doing nothing.

@badgerstate You can do it, and don’t need to change overnight. Start with manageable steps. Don’t go from junk food king to lean protein ninja overnight because that is not a realistic goal. Why not replace one junky item for a healthy one? Fries for a salad one week, then a deep fried protein for some roast chicken instead?

I think what is key here is to make it sustainable for you my friend. Make small changes week or bi-weekly and see how your body and your mind adjust.

Also, don’t feel bad about failing. Everyone fails every now and then. Just try to embrace who you are and make progress happen your way.

And lastly, small kids are a great excuse to move. Take your tot to the playground and go play with him.

@badgerstate I started in my 50’s, so I’m pretty sure it’s not too late, but on the other hand there are a million reasons for not starting, and being too old is as good as any of them.

What I learned is nobody can make a change but you, and you really, really, really have to want to. And if you don’t want to generally speaking no one really cares.

@badgerstate First it’s never too late, second you are still almost a child yourself so don’t pretend you are mid life or elderly and don’t give up on your health. Nothing anywhere says you have to eat a ton of vegetables to be healthy. And if losing weight is truly your goal you need a ton of protein. That being said here’s what I would do. Start by downloading a calorie/ macro nutrient tracker like “lose it” second buy the Wyze fitness scale, it is $35 on Amazon and tracks a ton of body metrics. And keeps track of everything. Since you are self proclaimed sedentary start by getting 6-8000 steps a day then graduate to 8-10,000 steps a day when the lesser number gets east. and restrict your diet to 1800-2000 calories. Try to go to the gym 2-3 days a week to lift. Or try at home to do a push-up, or body squats Start with anything you can. Also try to get 40-50% of your calories from protein 30-40% from carbs and 20% from fats. This at first sounds like nothing but try to eat clean and your calories go a long way. Eat chicken breast instead of fatty meats. Try to limit ingredients in your food to as few as possible. Meaning chose a bread with 3-4 ingredients instead of 357 where half of which you can’t pronounce. Sourdough is a good option for carbs. Strawberries are a good to eat they are low in calories carbs and high volume. Try to Cut processed sugar out completely, no sodas try Zevia zero calorie soft drinks instead if you need your fix. Don’t remove your favorite foods completely but if they are terrible for (high fat, sugar etc) you make them fit your macros and don’t cheat. You are only cheating on yourself. You’ll also find that on a day you eat that donut instead of a healthy option you are more hungry because that donut isn’t filling but it is calorie dense so you don’t have room for food that fills you up. At first to get started don’t think of this as optional. You have to get in the mindset that this is mandatory or your life depends on it. Make attainable goals and modify them as time progresses. Don’t say I’m going to lose 100 pounds in a month. Say my first goal is to lose 5 pound and do 1 push up, then modify and say now 5 push-ups, then 10 etc. it seems silly but giving yourself an achievable goal gets you used to hitting goals. 4 months ago I was 215 pounds and I could barely benchpress 135. Now I’m 180 and I’m about to bench press my weight. And lastly drink more water. I did this over the last 4-5 months and have lost over 30 pounds.

Back