I’m struggling with protein

thedalo

I’ve been vegan for about 1 year. My fiancé helped me switch after ‘Game changers’ aired on Netflix. I was a huge meat consumer and I just had enough of the ecological damage as well as the ethical treatment of animals.
Well my question is that during that documentary they said soy did not cause estrogen levels to climb, so I’ve been using that as my main source of protein. Then on No meat athlete podcast they said to only consume it 1-2 times a week. I’m not sure where to get factual information.
For reference I’m 6ft 4in male and 240lbs. I’m concerned my slow weight gain is from this. Any help would be cool!

@thedalo Certified Nutritionist and certified personal trainer here. Also vegan and powerlifter.

Soy is completely fine, no issues at all. It’s just beans, Asian countries have been eating it for years. If not tofu, I eat beans. There’s also plenty of protein in vegetables (like mushrooms and edamame and broccoli), just do a tiny bit of research and you’ll find a world of information.

If you’re still struggling, there’s vegan protein milk you can buy “silks ultra protein plus” and “silks cashew protein.”

For clients that are looking to gain weight, there’s a protein mass gainer on Amazon called “naked mass” that I put them on. It’s kinda pricy but it lasts forever if you use 1 scoop a day, with 8-10oz protein milk, and a few scoops of cashew ice cream. Makes a great milkshake and it’s tons of calories and a real nice kick of protein. Extra calories if you toss in a banana or peanut butter.

Message for questions.

Edit- also I keep plenty of nuts on hand all the time. In my car, around the house, etc. I put it in my breakfast every morning.

@jonpheretic I struggle to get in enough calories a day, I just don’t often have much of an appetite and it’s easy for me to forget to eat. Also, tbh I don’t work out much currently (I walk a lot at my job and I power walk, but that’s mostly it). Would having a naked mass shake be bad if I’m not working out that much but just generally need to consume more calories?

@salom You can drink it and gain weight but the weight will be in the form of fatty deposits. It’s hard to say how the weight gain will look on you without knowing what you look like currently but also Depending on if you’re a man or a woman that means the weight will go to specific and usually undesirable places (stomach, hips, butt, etc).

The gainer shake isn’t very nutritious, as for vitamins and minerals. So you should think about taking a complete multivitamin if you’re not going to be eating well.

You don’t have an appetite because you have suppressed it overtime. If you force yourself to eat breakfast lunch and dinner every day consistently for a few months, you’ll find that you will gain an appetite back.