I *calmly* shut down unwanted male attention today!

@smclem I once had a man twice my age corner me on the hip ab/abductor machine.

Fortunately someone else in the gym told the front desk for me. On my way out I was called over and told it was handled (without me prompting!) . But ugh I remember hating that feeling.

@smclem Ugh yes! Which is so icky because you are in such a vulnerable / below position in that move.

Also, I was taking to my husband about it and he was saying, some men think that any woman, doing things in the world, while lookin good, is seeking attention and wants men to stop by.

What a misconception!

I want zero attention. Especially, during my workout. And I look good because it makes me feel good!

@karin70 Yes!!!

A few years ago I switched gyms and wasn’t familiar with how to “unlock”/release the weight from the leg press machine so I could use it. I asked someone nearby if they could show me where the lever is to release the weight, and he proceeded to then try to tell me that I had way too much weight on the machine and I would hurt myself. I told him that I know exactly how much I can leg press and this is just my warm up. He shut up and left lol.

@christianteen1997 Related tangent: I wish all gyms had a video reference available to members for how to work with each machine. I don't want to forget a pin someplace because I've not used this model before, but many gyms are understaffed / not staffed during off hours, and asking gymbros for guidance is not my jam.

@thehamster I went to a YMCA that had pictures on each machine showing how to use it. It was great. It also had little graphics on a screen, and it would show the desired range of motion. It would turn green when you finished a rep and turn red if you set the weight down between sets. It was a great gym. Sadly the hours didn't work for my schedule. I loved that gym though.

@dawn16 That's how the Planet Fitness I used to go to was. Every machine had a "map" of sorts with the different exercises and how to use the machine.

@greenday129 Yeah I think so lol!

I actually don’t weight lift anymore and have no clue how much I can leg press now, but I think I was doing around 6 plates total at that point if I remember correctly. Nothing crazy but I was a really thin teenager so I guess it seemed like a lot for my body size hah!