I can only think of one exercise that has entirely changed my life- the Hindu Squat

@utvolford The difference will be the static vs the dynamic body movement. Yogic excercises have developed with millennia of research and are the safest and holistic excercises. Maybe you won't get the muscle size you want but they are unmatched for overall strength, stamina, mobility and healthy body and joints till extreme old age.

@1haroldl The hindu squat is a fundamental of Kalaripayattu, itself probably the world's oldest martial art and incorporates a number of fundamental bodyweight exercises. It's like calisthenic yoga-- dynamic motion into challenging/strengthening poses. During British colonization it was outlawed while some practices like exercises w/ Indian clubs and other fitness practices were coopted by the British colonial military (and influenced some American military institutions).

@tbirdzig That's propaganda, real indian martial arts are almost consciously eroded, while kalari are just several hundred years old and today taught as choreography only

@tertioptus I don't understand your objections fully-- I point out that British colonials outlawed Kalari's practice (large groups of fit, trained, martial arts practitioners are generally bad for occupying armies), a very deliberate erasure/removal of history/identity-- more than erosion.

It's also easy to see that kalri is currently being taught/practiced in a variety of formats, not "just choreography," at least not anymore "choreographed" than any other martial arts practice that incorporate weapon training.

I can't speak to the historical citations of Kalaripayattu's age, but as someone who has practiced a number of different martial arts throughout their life, the kalari I've practiced shares footwork w/ muy thai and southern kung fu, dynamic mobility/breathework of yoga/taichi/qigong, and a demanding level of physical conditioning. Most martial arts are bodybuilding systems whose values are expressed through exercise so YMMV.

On top of that, there are unique elements of kalari like the Urumi, a flexible sword wielded like a whip with some multi-prong variations. I don't know what parts of my OP you think are "propaganda" but there's plenty of actual benefit to kalari's practice and much to be interested in (whether to sort fact/fiction) its history.

@1haroldl Are you meant to kind of focus the weight in the toes a bit more? I notice at the bottom the heel of the foot kinda leaves the floor.

@dawn16 I am certain in the coming years, we will be recognizing the invisible forces of vibrations of sun, earth, emotions and our fluid existence within it as opposed to some kind of separate little funny personality. Kinda like we found out germs can make you sick even if you're a sacred doctor who can "do no harm" so now everyone washes their hands.

Spiritual hygiene for mental wealth.

@1haroldl I'd never heard them called Hindu Squats, but I absolutely remember the mini game in Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII where you could have Zack start doing these squats with a timed button press, and it would keep a record of how many you'd done in a row.
Tried it once and almost fell over and assumed it was probably unsafe exercise some game developers made up... Lol
As an adult now in his 30s I'm fascinated at the idea since as OP stated there's clearly something very satisfying about the continuous movement while improving your stamina, as well as goal setting. Level up!

@1haroldl I’ve never tried to do that many. 500! I’ll do maybe 5 or so to wake up my quads. I find I actually use it a lot of work. It’s great for doing activities near the floor instead of kneeling. It’s soooo much better for my knees

@drwoodrowak I definitely find my knees in general are doing better even without really working out in a while if I go to a squat instead of kneeling. My blood pressure immediately after standing up on the other hand...

@1haroldl Micaiah: What's your age? Seldom do folks on this sub give their age and given I'm 65 and in Top physical condition, it helps to get insight into ages as a way of comparing my fitness level. Thanks.