I can only think of one exercise that has entirely changed my life- the Hindu Squat

@amaggart Yes, me too! I have osgood slider or whatever it's called where your growth plate on your tibia can't keep up from growing too fast 12-4 years old and have always had knee pain at that point in my life. Sitting for long periods of time in theaters or airplanes where I couldn't stretch out my legs gave me such cramps and discomfort.

Practicing this movement that is the hindu squat brought strength not only to my quads but also to the tendons and ligaments surrounding my knee joints. The biggest growth I noticed wasn't even in the quads! -It was the pop of those strengthened tendons immediately surrounding my knee joints. Truly amazing transformation!

@michael75065 You'll need to work on developing strength and resilience in your knees. Look up Knees Over Toes Guy, understand what it takes to rehab your knees, and get on the ATG online coaching program called "Zero." Look up reviews, podcasts, etc. to dismantle any skepticism you may have.

@walklikeaman Some people have crappy knees and high reps will aggregate them.. i have a crappy left knee that high reps of low squates annoy but if I do sumo stances I get the thigh and balance workout but not the cardio like these squats though my knees are fine with sumo stances.

@denise85 Then I guess people with crappy knees need to decide if they should do hindu squats, but that doesn't mean the squats cause knee problems. I don't see how this exercise can be modified while still getting the intended effect. Better to just do something different.

@walklikeaman If they are anything like me the knee problems come from a general lack of knee strength, if you are starting out maybe start with conventional bodyweight squats, then once you can get through them without knee pain you can start moving to tougher variations. If you are already ripping out shrimp or pistol squats I doubt hindu would make you sore, plus I think you'd have to do super high reps to get the same level of workout as an unassisted shrimp or pistol.

@walklikeaman I have a knee that does not bend as far as the other. I’ve been working on it slowly though. After watching the video it just looked like it would hurt me. Willing to try this with caution.

@michael75065 Slowly! Like I commented below, the strength gained from these movements came noticeably more to my tendons and ligaments more than my quadriceps, especially at first. Great advice given below as well! Happy squatting!!

@1haroldl I tried it this morning just to see if I could do one. I was able to do more than I thought, got lower than I thought I could, so I’ll definitely keep it up. Felt it in some good places.

@1haroldl It's quite a movement. The coordination of arm swing, breath, and speed, take the stress off the knees that most 'vertical' squats risk. I've only done them occasionally, but I've been doing Dand every day for some time. Maybe I'll take a month or so and just pile up reps of dand-bethak like an old-school wrestler...