I did my own high intensity stretching routine focused on hamstrings. This are my results after one month. (x-post r/Flexibility)

@postimpatica This specific program, 8 weeks. I kept stretching for 4 more weeks after the after picture. However, I stopped right before Christmas, and I haven't restarted... I wanted to take a break on the holidays and give my muscles a chance to completely recover, but I haven't been able to make me stretch again.

I think on Monday I could do a lighter version.

Edit: grammar.

@phalbert Did you take a picture after the next 4 weeks?
Did you have additional progress then?

Have you started back up?

The lying hamstring stretch video has a lot of stretches in it. Did you do them all?

Did you notice any strength gains or losses in your hamstrings from this?

How strong were they when starting?
I believe mine are weak and holding me back. I only deadlift around 175x10.
Progress has stalled.

@charliess
Did you take a picture after the next 4 weeks?
Did you have additional progress then?

Have you started back up?

I didn't take another picture. I did continue to improve while I was stretching.

On March 1st I began to stretch again, at least five days a week, with a new routine that has worked great. Even better than the first version.

It took me a few weeks to get to my previous level, but now I'm one inch away from touching my toes with a straight back and I can place my palms behind my feet if I round my back.

The lying hamstring stretch video has a lot of stretches in it. Did you do them all?

Just the one with the straight leg. Now I'm doing a standing version of Kit Laughlin's hamstrings stretch. It's so much confortable and I think it may be more effective.

Edit: I just noticed that the video of the lying hamstrings stretch is the wrong one. I'll fix it when I get home.

Did you notice any strength gains or losses in your hamstrings from this?

I wasn't training so I don't know. I've never seen my performance decrease due to stretching (unless there's some serious DOMS).

How strong were they when starting?
I believe mine are weak and holding me back. I only deadlift around 175x10.
Progress has stalled.

I've never deadlifted in my life and I don't think I have strong legs. I also think that strength is irrelevant to flexibility. There are hundreds of very flexible people who never have lifted a single dumbbell. Think of the millions of yoga practitioners who don't lift.

@phalbert Yeah but a lot of yoga poses are standing hamstring stretches, and just balancing while going to end range strengthens them.

Also a lot of “flexible” people really have flexible joints.

As long as you have a normal pelvic tilt you probably aren’t too weak in the hips/hamstrings. You get weak from having imbalances and then favoring the quads for example, and from exaggerated pelvic tilts. This is my issue.

When your pelvic is in alignment you will use your hamstrings and glutes while just walking and bending over etc much more than someone who isn’t in alignment.

@mdrei No. That fix only works when you are so new to hip hinging that you don't really know how to use your muscles properly. I am beyond that. If I round my back like he does in the video, I can place my whole hands on the floor, with ease.

Besides, I tried it years ago. It didn't make a difference.

@sakeerv I did it manually, using the GIMP measure tool. That's why it doesn't measures exactly at the hip joint. I used the PVC pipe and my butt as reference because it was more precise.

@phalbert For what purpose? Curious why you want/need specific hamstring flexibility, and only that area.

Does this apply to an activity, sport, or specific movement?

@phalbert Think I might be missing something here. So you started off not able to touch your toes and after a month of intensive stretching five times a week you um still can’t touch your toes but you can get a bit closer?
Maybe I’m more bendy than I thought!

@phalbert This routine looks awesome! I have a few questions though

Can you share with us the isometric ab exercises and hip flexor stretches you used?

Any recommended reading to learn the fundamentals of creating a similar routine? I would love to create something similar for bridge work but have no clue what to do/where to start.

Thanks for your response!

@sjam
Can you share with us the isometric ab exercises and hip flexor stretches you used?

I did any ab exercise that I felt like doing: all kind of planks, ab-wheel rollouts, L-sit, hollow body holds, etc. The idea was to activate my abs, not to increase strength, size, or anything. With only one set close to failure I could feel my core more tight.

Regarding hip flexor stretches, I did mostly two: the couch stretch and the standing quad stretch. Whichever you chose, remember to do them with a posterior pelvic tilt.

Any recommended reading to learn the fundamentals of creating a similar routine? I would love to create something similar for bridge work but have no clue what to do/where to start.

This is a synthesis of years of disorganized learning. I do recommend Cirque Physio, several Youtube channels (Emmet Louis, Kit Laughlin, Ian Markow, etc.) and doing research in scientific journals. There's relatively few information on how to increase flexibility, compared to how to gain size or strength.

BTW, I wouldn't use this approach for bridges. The pike involves only one joint; the bridge involves many, including the spine. It's more dangerous to do something like this. However, you could use this routine as a template for increasing hip extension or shoulder flexion, and I think you'd see good results.

@phalbert That is the result of one full month of hardcore, focused stretching?

I know nothing about stretching, but I always believed it was pretty easy to become more flexible quickly with just a bit of efforts. Apparently it's harder than I thought... I'm slightly discouraged :/

Still, impressive results (I guess? xD). Good job ;)

@ofundude32 It's also important to keep in mind that his before/after pics isolate his hamstring very specifically and that most movements involve a whole set of muscles. If you were to have a more general mobility routine or if he were to have demonstrated a more complex movement involving more muscles, I think the results would look more dramatic.

The improvement you see here is pretty great though, if you were to think like what would it look like if he were to continue this for 6 months.. well, he'd practically be a contortionist. Can't say that about many exercises. Squats for 6 months? Maybe another 80 lbs.

@ofundude32 Yeah. I'm pretty sure I would have made more impressive results if I was a complete beginner, but at the time I started I already was able to put my knuckles on the floor.