I feel like my boss is taking advantage of me??

actor4life20

I've been coaching at my box since September 2019. I did my level one 2 months after starting. I paid for it, was getting paid 17$ per class coached and got free membership.
But 2 weeks ago, our owner decided to increase all the prices in the gym, going from 115 to 155. Around my region, no gym charge anything more than 110, even charging 85 at a certain facility. Ever since announcing the new fee, members have been complaining a lot, but nothing seems to affect my boss. He decided to increase our salary, now we are paid 20$/h, but he asks of us to work 5h per month for free, in order to pay for my membership. I was shook. And my coworkers were too. I tried talking to him, nothing changed. No colleagues went to talk to him but one, she told me nothing changed, but my husband, who's also working there, thinks they did a secret arrangement.
I'm pissed right now. I love my job, but I don't want to work for free. I feel like nobody should. We already have access to facilities, we will get more money from memberships... I don't think my box is going badly financially.
What arguments would you use to convince him? Should I propose working more hours in order to have free membership? If he doesn't agree, would it be possible to stay coach there while working out else where? We only have one box in my town, I would either have to go to a commercial gym or drive to the gym in the next town.
Also, I'm moving away in 5 months. Is it worth it? I'm very mad though. I feel like my boss is making money using me, and using our members!!!

@actor4life20
Also, I'm moving away in 5 months

Make sure you have the requirement to work unpaid hours documented in writing. 3 months from now, file a wage claim with your state's department of labor. You'll get back pay for those 5 hours per month and the shitty boss will be in some hot water.

@heloisebellamy Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

@heloisebellamy It's not unpaid. It's a membership. If it's done properly, the value should be reported on the employees tax and wage statements and the employee will need to include the $1860 annual value in their income. Depending on their tax bracket, that could add a few hundred to their tax bill. The employer also has additional tax obligations, unless the coach is a 1099 contractor (and many are). If she's a 1099, she'll be on the hook for underreporting earnings, not the employer. There are rules, but generally you're allowed to offer services instead of money as payment to a contractor. And to an employee for that matter.

@pj1070 I challenge you to provide any data to back up this claim. I've been around this game a long time, friend, and while YMMV, the vast majority of gym owners I've worked with are bad small business owners, don't even have accountants, and barely understand basic small business taxes.

@riot42 Well, unquestionably lots of small gym owners do know what they're doing, run multiple businesses and hire appropriate qualified professionals. That doesn't mean most of them do, so it's simultaneously true (or can be true) that "lots of gym owners have multiple small businesses and good accountants" and "the vast majority...are bad small business owners...." Just like every type of small business, a lack of savviness and poor recordkeeping is par for the course, but there are still lots and lots of small business owners who know what they're doing and retain solid professionals when needed.

My mileage does vary - nearly all of the box owners I know (and I need more than my two hands to count them) have multiple businesses and their gyms have been around for a long time and seem to be well run (and for a handful I know the financials which confirm this). I've seen lots of small gyms (and other small businesses) come and go, and there's almost certainly limited knowledge and poor decision making in the ones that folded, but that doesn't mean the ones that persevere aren't doing it right.

The bottom line is you're right and I'm right. So, have a nice day.

@heloisebellamy I get that it’s a shitty situation, but the benefits package changed. Membership used to be free, and now it’s $100. So it’s either work the same hours and pay $100 back, work 5 more hours and pay $100 back, or work 5 hours for “free.”

Going from what was in place this is certainly a step down, but I don’t think it’s a bad deal. There are thousands of coaches who coach for membership only, for “free” in this case.

@actor4life20 So a $3 raise but 5hrs labor to cover membership cost?
That’s a bizarre and unusual arrangement. Do you take home less money now?

As far as what to say to convince him I think no one here could give good advice without being close to the situation.

Sounds like you can threaten to leave or suck it up.

If you got all the coaches together that would be your best leverage. But if half flake one you that would get messy

@actor4life20 At 20 hours/month you would need to make $21.25/hr to make this equal to your previous deal. I would just lay out the math for your boss and ask for the $1.25/hr bump or ask to work 4 hours per week for the membership instead of 5. Neither seem like a big ask.