I Was Fired from a Fitness Studio for Not Being Active Enough

ctian25

Hey there!

I’ve been a lurker for a while here, and never felt moved to post until today. I think I just need some perspective.

I used to work part time for a boutique fitness studio. I’d come in after my 9-5 job to work the front desk, fold towels, etc. I’d taken the classes a few times, but because they weren’t free to employees I couldn’t afford a package. Furthermore, I figured I was there to earn money, not buy the product.

A few months went by and the owner and director of operations got a quick dinner with me between classes. They asked me about my fitness life, what I like, if I’m a member of any other studios and listed groups such as Barre, Cross Fit, the November Project, etc. I opened up about how fitness wasn’t a thing growing up, so it’s been hard for me to learn that kind of accountability as a full-fledged adult. I never did sports, my parents and siblings don’t work out - I’ve been learning from scratch. But, I explained that I’m a member of a box gym and go take care of business there.

The next day, I was asked to come in for a “chat.” The director of operations broke the news that I was being let go, and explained that I wasn’t doing enough to be involved in the fitness community. I didn’t fit the fitness culture they were looking for in employees. To me, it was clear that I wasn’t active enough.

To say I was hurt is an understatement. As someone who’s thin, but still insecure about my fitness, I was mortified. I then realized that them asking me about my workouts wasn’t out of genuine interest - it was fishing to see if I fit the bill. I felt stupid about opening up to them, and I was furious that they used my own words against me after confiding in them.

Today it hit me how much this affected my life. I was just invited to the November Project and was excited about going with a group. Then it hit me that they might be there - and all the insecurities came back. I’m almost scared to run into them while working out. And come to think of it, I haven’t been to the gym since being fired. Trying something and being told it wasn’t good enough just crushed me.

I don’t really know how to come back from this. Any perspective would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

@ctian25 This makes no sense to me. You can’t fire someone without giving them several warnings and a proper reason! What the o.p does in her spare time is none of their business. O.p needs to get a letter from them out lining why they are firing her causing loss of earnings. Takes this to free legal aid organisation for sure!