I Was Fired from a Fitness Studio for Not Being Active Enough

ctian25

Hey there!

I’ve been a lurker for a while here, and never felt moved to post until today. I think I just need some perspective.

I used to work part time for a boutique fitness studio. I’d come in after my 9-5 job to work the front desk, fold towels, etc. I’d taken the classes a few times, but because they weren’t free to employees I couldn’t afford a package. Furthermore, I figured I was there to earn money, not buy the product.

A few months went by and the owner and director of operations got a quick dinner with me between classes. They asked me about my fitness life, what I like, if I’m a member of any other studios and listed groups such as Barre, Cross Fit, the November Project, etc. I opened up about how fitness wasn’t a thing growing up, so it’s been hard for me to learn that kind of accountability as a full-fledged adult. I never did sports, my parents and siblings don’t work out - I’ve been learning from scratch. But, I explained that I’m a member of a box gym and go take care of business there.

The next day, I was asked to come in for a “chat.” The director of operations broke the news that I was being let go, and explained that I wasn’t doing enough to be involved in the fitness community. I didn’t fit the fitness culture they were looking for in employees. To me, it was clear that I wasn’t active enough.

To say I was hurt is an understatement. As someone who’s thin, but still insecure about my fitness, I was mortified. I then realized that them asking me about my workouts wasn’t out of genuine interest - it was fishing to see if I fit the bill. I felt stupid about opening up to them, and I was furious that they used my own words against me after confiding in them.

Today it hit me how much this affected my life. I was just invited to the November Project and was excited about going with a group. Then it hit me that they might be there - and all the insecurities came back. I’m almost scared to run into them while working out. And come to think of it, I haven’t been to the gym since being fired. Trying something and being told it wasn’t good enough just crushed me.

I don’t really know how to come back from this. Any perspective would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

@ctian25 This makes no sense to me. You can’t fire someone without giving them several warnings and a proper reason! What the o.p does in her spare time is none of their business. O.p needs to get a letter from them out lining why they are firing her causing loss of earnings. Takes this to free legal aid organisation for sure!

@ctian25 That kind of thing is normal, even expected at fitness businesses. The first thing I had to do at my last fitness job was loose weight, I’d basically been on a permanent bulk for years chasing strength PR’s. I looked like a cuddly teddy, but they needed a guy in beast mode not bear mode.

BUT

Nutritional programmes, classes, workout programmes and use of facilities were all free, not to mention the option of training with any of my colleagues and asking any and all questions I had. Also this was all discussed prior to my taking the job. I specifically said my weakness was diet and I needed to lose fat.

It’s one thing to hold a person working in the fitness industry to a standard of fitness, that’s absolutely necessary. It’s another entirely to deny them employee discounts given that workout classes are basically “staff training” and if they are mandatory then the business should foot the bill.

@ctian25 Hang on is this legal? They hired you in the first place knowing who you are? You can’t just fire someone because they don’t work out how you like or to their standard?! I don’t go to a lot of my work social events because of depression and anxiety, if anyone fired me over it I’d be looking for an employment lawyer.

Edit:I see you’re in the US...sorry. For...well...everything.

@ctian25 Ok, you are kind of not telling the entire story though (there are some things you said in a reply and were not included in the OP)? So let's sum it up:
  • boutique gym shows up in town, they are new, they just hire who they can;
  • after a while, business starts working well, so they now afford to invest more in their image, including front desk person;
  • they want to know if you are interested in fitness; not exactly their classes, just fitness, at all. anything?
  • you're like neah, I'm fine, no fitness for me, my parents didn't like it, you know? (to be honest, that's a stupid excuse; you are an adult, make your choices, don't blame your lifestyle on your parents. there are plenty of people who got into fitness as adults after a lifetime of being sedentary and not knowing anything about fitness);
  • they fire you and it's unfair because you are thin (???)
Now knowing all that, maybe those employers were not the worst, most horrible people in the world. Maybe you just did not show the dedication they expected. You also show no interest in taking up fitness, improving yourself and generally growing together with the business. For me, all these sound like fair reasons for dismissals. You should keep in mind, for your future job, having a job, being good at it and being appreciated for it takes more than just show up and do the bear minimum.

@ctian25 I was also previously let go from a part-time job. The explanation I received was that it was not a cultural fit, despite that I had been there more than a year.

My only advice is to let go of that emotional weight as quickly as possible. Because you’re right, you’re there to earn money, not to buy product. That company is clearly looking for people who are going to spend their paycheck there.