I Was Fired from a Fitness Studio for Not Being Active Enough

@akashraletta ^ This.

My boss actually cares about my personal life. When they noticed I was losing weight on Facebook I got a bonus to help with getting equipment and clothes (and not a small bonus)

When I was struggling with depression they reached out, but not in an overreaching manner.

We're a small company and my bosses are very family oriented. If my boss was like the above comment, I wouldn't be friends with them on Facebook. My boss's are indeed interested in each of our unique stories.

@lindilindi This. And management might be oblivious to the whole idea that the employee might not want to pay their employer to work out because employers can be dim, so “my childhood” as the only reason? NOPE.

PSA: it’s ok to politely remind your boss that you work for money.

@ctian25 I'm sorry this happened to you. We read so often about people being intimidated by going to the gym for the first time, or keeping up the habit because they're afraid they won't fit in with the stereotypical "gym bro," that it seems like you could have been really good for this company. Think about someone coming to their studio for the first time, unsure of themselves, thinking they will stick out, and the first person they see is someone who isn't a perfect model of fitness who has been into sports and other activities since they were a kid, but someone who came to fitness later in life, who can relate to the struggles of starting and maintaining a fitness lifestyle. Suddenly, they feel less intimidated and more welcomed. Honestly, it sounds like the studio's loss. I hope you move on to better things.

@iggyjr22 Exactly. Maybe that sort of thing not aligned with their business model, but I love that my gym has friendly, often older and/or fatter people, manning the front desk. They are relate-able, and welcoming.

@ctian25 I feel like if they wanted you to join their classes and work out at that gym to promote the product (so to speak), then you should at least have a discount on a membership? That's so silly.

@monsour OP only said classes "weren't free," so they probably did have a discount - most workplaces in general offer some sort of incentive for employees, so I don't really think this is the case.

@ctian25 Wow, that's bullshit. I worked at a hometown gym when I was in college. My family had been members there for a few years but once I started working there I never wanted to work out. I had just spent eight hours there - the last thing I wanted to do was go to work on my day off. There was NEVER the expectation that I use my membership and have the members see me working out. Never!! I cant even fathom.

@stanleybenjamin That hometown gym was probably well established though and probably didn't need you as their spokesperson. A new gym (or any new business, really) often relies on their employees for hype; be seen in the gym, wear the brand, talk about it to their friends, post it on social media, etc. Basically, live the lifestyle that they're selling. It's pretty standard these days.

@henderco I thinks that's crazy, though. Unless your job at that place is media or communications or advertising, posting on social media and tsking the classes shouldn't be the job -- unless its expressly written that way, which it sounds like it wasn't.

@chaorabite Fitness is important to OP, but she is learning things that people who have been working out for years (or were athletic previously) already know. OP said she's a member of a box gym, but is learning accountability when it comes to fitness.