Is 30 too late to aim for an ‘athletic body’?

norman70

I spent my 20s convinced I had M.E when really I had an anxiety disorder. As a result, I didn’t do a lot of physical exercise out of fear it would trigger illness.

Since 2020, I’ve managed to treat my anxiety disorder and many mental health issues.

I turn 30 this year. In the past three years, on and off, I have really tried to go to the gym and exercise. In 2024, I am committed to running 3 times a week, swimming and 2x a week strength training, as well as eating really healthily. And then if I can manage that, I’ll add sports in from there like cycling and tennis.

I was very thin in my 20s without really exercising (likely due to the anxiety disorder), but in the past three years, I’ve gained weight and I’m not very happy with my body anymore.

I don’t really understand the science behind ageing, so this may be a ridiculous question. But is 30s too late to get an athletic body? What should I expect? I don’t want to focus on abs or anything, I just want my goal to be “healthy” and I want to work up to doing all the sports I missed out on. As I have body dysmorphia, I shouldn’t focus on how I look. I just want to be active while I’m still ‘young’ so I don’t get to 40 and regret not using my body at its supposed ‘peak’.

I know the cellulite is here to stay, so what should I realistically expect? How much is truly reversible?

I just want to make sure I’m setting my expectations right so I don’t get disappointed and feel un-motivated..and stop!

@princessa2727 I’m about to turn 32 in February and I have also been making gains in the gym. My one recommendation is, less cardio more strength training. Even adding one more day and keeping the cardio if you love it. But if you hate it, I can assure you that lifting burns more fat that just cardio alone.

@norman70 At age 50, with the lockdown, I got depressed and gained weight. At my doctors exam, my blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar was up. My doctor wanted to start medications. I said no. I watched my diet and worked out. Now , 3 years later, I am lifting what I did in college.

@norman70 Yeah, never too late… in fact, your 30s are prime. I was in the best shape of my life at age 39-40 because I was lifting and eating well. I cut out all sugar from my diet and went to eating “whole” food such as lean meats, fresh fruits and vegetables. I stopped eating at fast food restaurant chains and did my own cooking. Still do. Feel great, so don’t doubt yourself… give this a go and hire a personal trainer in the beginning to give yourself some guidance on how to exercise properly and get a good handle on your nutritional regimen

@norman70 Changed my body in 34.Most important factor is nutrition with a bananced diet. You need to track your calories or the weight of the food type you eat(my dietician for example has instructed me to eat 400grams of meat per day and 250grams of carbohydrates) (rice) etc.

Once you have locked your diet the training will be more efficient and will provide maximum results.

@norman70 I know a guy in his 50's who completely changed his physique from being overweight/obese to visibly having gains. So at 30 I'd imagine you could make a really good transformation, just be patient as it takes a year or two of dedication to reach your end goal usually

Back