Is my workout routine ok, my PT says it is too generic and I should change

happyfella0

Hi Everyone, i have bee working out for 6 years

Just wanted to ask if my gym routine is good or is it too much?

Is my workout routine ok, my PT says it is too generic and I should change

Please let me know your opinion

Chest, shoulders, biceps and triceps (Day 1)
  1. Flat bench press
  2. Inclined bench press
  3. Inclined dumbbell fly
  4. Flat dumbbell fly
  5. Dumbbell shoulder press
  6. Arnold press
  7. Bicep dumbbell curl
  8. Bicep extension
  9. Flat dumbbell extension close grip
  10. Flat dumbbell extension wide grip
Back and legs (Day 2)
  1. Squat
  2. Frontal squat
  3. Barbell lunges
  4. Barbell bent-over row
  5. Wide lateral pulldown
  6. Pull up
  7. Cable seated row
Chest, shoulders, biceps and triceps (Day 3)
  1. Inclined bench press
  2. Chest dips
  3. Cable fly
  4. Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise
  5. Dumbbell Side Front Raise
  6. Barbell upright row
  7. Shoulder shrug
  8. Bicep close grip z-bar
  9. Bicep wide grip z-bar
  10. Triceps rope pull down
Back and legs (Day 4)
  1. Barbell bent-over row
  2. Wide lateral pulldown
  3. Reverse grip pull-up
  4. Cable seated row
  5. Dumbbell one-arm row
  6. Squat
  7. Dumbbells side lunges
  8. Calf extension

@happyfella0 The first thing is that doing biceps the day before you do your back which uses a lot of biceps too will both overwork your biceps and you won't be able to push your back enough to the point when they should grow. Also, doing same muscle group with only one rest day in between is most likely not enough time for muscles to recover. That means that you would overwork them every time and there would basically be no progress. And lastly, if you are going to have your workout split in two groups, I would at least rather go with that one day I would do upper body, and other day I would do legs.

Summary: I think you are overworking your muscles which leads to no progressive overload.

@happyfella0 It is not too generic, but I dont think its gonna work, unless you are an absolute beginner. You say you have been working out for 6 years.
  1. Follow a well known split - full body 3x a week, PPL, Upper Lower, etc
  2. Mention reps and sets. And the method of progression. Unless you have a planned method of progression, you will not get bigger or stronger unless you are a beginner
  3. You have too much junk volume. There are 10 exercises in one day. That means you are not really pushing in any of the movements. Per session do 3-6 exercises max, unless you are doing full body. 1/2 main movements, other accessory or assistance lifts.
  4. It would be better if you mentioned your squat, bench, deadlift, ohp, row numbers along with bodyweight.

@tamara12 Yes that makes sense about the volume. I just wanted to squeeze in as many workouts as I can in 4 days.
But yes, I agree that would lead to no real progression because of the fatigue. I appreciate your help thanks 🙏🏻

@happyfella0 You can try to include calisthenics. A few samples might be
- Core workouts like, planks, twists, mountain climber etc
- Chest workouts like push up variants
- Back workout in the form of pull up variants
- Butt workouts
- Also some HIIT workouts
- leg workouts like Split sqats, lunge split jumps
- Inclusion of exercise bands or loops for extra resistance for example in biceps curls

The variety will start challenging some of the less used or smaller muscles that are not engaged by your regular routine.

I have felt these making difference after following same routines at gym for 6-7 years. These will give you option to workout when you do not have access to gym too. They will hep in your balance and posture too.

@happyfella0 When do legs make sure you do hamstring curls to help even leg muscles working out triceps on chest is is good and do push downs with good form at end of other moves for bigger tri's. Save curls for end of back day to bigger results. Hammer curling to add on to biceps.some tips thought you can try out

@happyfella0 Try using muscle groups that work together for example: back and biceps, chest, shoulders and triceps and legs. A good program is Push, Pull, Legs. One day you do push exercises like bench press and overhead press. And another day pull exercises like the pull up or bicep curl and the last day you do your legs and core. It's a 3 day split and really good if you are starting out.

Back