Is working out by muscle group or push pull days better

expressjt

I've always just blindly followed the workout routine my school's weight lifting class gave us to do, but now I am working out on my own and am making my own routine for the first time and I was wondering if organizing my workout by muscle group (Ex. Mon-Back,Arms Tues-Core,Chest Wednes-Legs Etc.) Or by push pull rest days. I like the muscle group way because it feels easier to make the routine that way but I'm wondering which is better or if there's another that's better. Any and all advice is welcome

P.s. I'm a pre-T trans man who's been working out and running track for 3+ years, I don't have a lot of lifting gains but I do have experience. The build/strength I'm looking for is a runners build but also going for looks trying to shape my body to look more masculine iykwim. Dk if that's relevant but I'm putting it if it is.

@expressjt Based on your comment you are more interested in buddy building versus functional strength.
Push/Pull/Leg splits tend to focus more on multi joint/compound exercises like bench press, squat, rows, and deadlifts. These will focus more on athletic ability and strength versus bulk.
If you are trying to bulk and build a certain physique, isolation exercises are going to be more productive. You would be better off focusing on specific muscles and grouping versus the PPL split.
Keep in mind no matter what you do, if you are trying to build/bulk you need to have a diet that supports it. You may find this difficult given your running background and you may underestimate how much you need to eat.

@chaitealatte456789 Thanks for ur comment I appreciate it.

I'm not looking for a bulk, any "body building" wouldn't be much, just building a bit of muscle in some areas like obliques Shoulders and back so my body looks less feminine but other than that yeah I'm looking for more functional strength and mobility type stuff.

I'll def keep what u said in mind, thank u!

@expressjt I would suggest making your primary lifts compound (Olympic and Power lifts) and your accessory lifts isolation then. Look into the Wendler 5/3/1 or 5x5 Stringlift programs as a starting point for your main sets and add accessory exercises.

@vgriffin So I'm kinda confused what Push Pull entails. If one day is Pull does that mean like Pull movements for full body like arms shoulders back chest etc? Or does it work differently? Sorry I'm just new to making routines and confused lol

@expressjt Push/Pull/Legs usually make upper body push, upper body pull, legs.

In terms of muscle groups: upper body push is pectoralis major and minor, triceps, anterior deltoid, and medial deltoid; upper body pull is biceps, latissimus dorsi, rhomboid, posterior deltoid, and trapezius muscles.
There are smaller stabilizer muscles as well but those are the major ones.