Jeff Nippard Fullbody: Should I rely only in progressing by reps and let RPE aside?

greenmart123

I'm doing the fundamental's Fullbody, not progressing strengtwise.....
I mean when Jeff gives a determined number of reps.

(example: just says 3x8 RPE "x") , I am planning to start from 2,3 reps under and try to reach that goal in the 4 weeks block

3x12 > do 3x8-12

3x8>6-8

3x6> 4-6

I think that not knowing how to figure out the RPE makes their programs unuseful for (me OCD guy LoL) perhaps I will hop to something more structured like 5/3/1

And so on...Is it a good idea??

@greenmart123 RPE's and RIR's in my opinion are for those that are already familiar with their body and have pushed to failure in some instances. Once you have trained with a regular ass linear progression program and hit a wall and failure, you should know what RPE 8, 9, 10 feels like.

For bodybuilding I dislike programing that calls for specific RPE every week. Feeling of fatigue can twist your perception of effort, so I start at something like RPE 7/8 and just add a rep or some weight every week until I hit failure, deload and start over.

@greenmart123 probably not - you'll still have to judge RPE with this method and practically, you'll either end up following his RPE recommendation or end up being like 4-5 RIR and getting a few relatively useless sessions. idk how the program works or his progression, but if you can't follow it for whatever reason - there's tons of good programs out there and you should be able to find one you understand and can follow.

5/3/1 is solid, especially if you're a beginner to get some experience in the gym and know you can't really mess it up. after a year or two, if you want to go bodybuilding route rather than push your strength numbers, i think there's lots better options. so, i would go with that if you understand it and are happy to follow it.

@johnc101 Thanks bro. You're right. I want to put on size rather than increasing numbers fast. I was between 5/3/1 for beginners and GZCLP and I already decided to start today with the first one :)

@greenmart123 It's not that, the rpe is an excellent tool, but it seems to me to be too thin for 99% of the people who train and just want to be bigger and stronger.
There comes a point where trying to dose the issue of training and nutrition to the maximum is counterproductive.

Just pick an exercise that works the muscles you want to build, train hard, eat right, and get plenty of rest.
If in a few weeks you notice that by doing the same exercise you can do more repetitions or carry more weight, it means that you are improving, that is enough.
It does not make much sense to apply mathematical rules since organisms do not function according to strict rules.

This is hands down one of the best nutrition and training articles that doesn't talk about nutrition and training.

Back