Jeff Nippard’s New Exercises

@ray0174 Jeff and Mike have spun into something new that I don’t quite recognize anymore. I’ve been watching more of Dr Wolf, who reminds me of Jeff and Mike from a few years ago.

@laura02375 Science based lifting tubers often have a backlog of great content and a need to keep fucking talking. I get that the job entails that but at a certain point you don’t need to keep making weekly content. Let new research dictate what gets posted rather than what drives clicks

@nguyenviet92 You’re right. And that’s why I maybe don’t fault them too much. It’s what they make a living off of, so I just take a lot of what they say with a grain of salt and then occasionally there will be some new science based thing I’m interested in. It’s why I like to window shop a bit on advice I take from different fitness influencers. I never take it as granted because at the end of the day they would prefer I kept listening to them rather than that I would have simply learned what I needed to.

@concernedcatholic Frequently posting keeps them relevant, which directs people to that valuable backlog. And the conversation itself keeps people invested in their training. I personally like incorporating new tidbits here and there that changes how I look at a certain exercises. The whole slow eccentric, pause in the full stretch fad has left me feeling a lot stronger in those particular movements, which has been motivating, even though people got plenty strong before ever worrying about it.

@unbridledwild Yeah I’m inclined to agree but I think may be a bit more cynical about it. I agreed with a lot of what you said in my reply to /@nguyenviet92. And yeah eccentrics have been tearing my chest and biceps apart I love them now

@concernedcatholic Absolutely. I wish they’d remake some older videos with the new evidence that’s come in the meantime, I.e. ‘the perfect xyz workout according to science’ that jeff Nippard used to do. See here for an example of Jeff at his prime video making.

@oregongirl1 I mean he was one of the researches in those "lengthened partials" studies and his PHD is about them I believe, so I guess it's fine he preaches them so much, he saw them working in person.

@oregongirl1 Wolf’s videos are more focused around finding workouts that allow the muscle to be in a stretched position rather than just doing lengthened partials. For example, he makes a case that dumbell and machine presses may be superior to bench press for chest hypertrophy. And that incline may be superior to decline if you want to do straight bar because there is a greater stretch as your humerus can go into deeper extension on the negative. I’ve found his stuff very helpful.

@laura02375 Yeah but all you need to know is that stretched position is better for hypertrophy and you are all set. If you are past novice level you should know which exercises can achieve that.

@oregongirl1 Look around your gym. I don’t know if all the people doing flat bench 5 days a week know this. Or the people doing standing dumbell curls instead of decline curls. Or doing lat prayers instead of dumbell pull overs. Doing deadlifts instead of doing RDLs or good mornings for hamstrings. Let’s be serious and realize a good majority of people have no idea how to train properly for the target muscle.