Local Competitions are humbling

This past weekend I did a female partner competition at a local gym. I always find them humbling because although I am always at the top of the whiteboard at my gym, I'm usually middle of the pack at these local competitions. In this case we came in 4th out of 9 teams - which fuels my fire to get better. Personally I struggle with the heavy barbell workouts and any max lift. I'm 23y.o. female 5'2" 130lbs. My C&J is 150, snatch 120, back squat 200. I was proud to hit a 145# 3 rep max fs from the ground this weekend, but compared to what everyone else was lifting (i.e. 170-205) I felt weak.
We were in 3rd place going into the last workout which had heavy power snatches - but I couldn't physically couldn't string 12 together and it's frustrating seeing all the teams around me moving at a quicker place than me and watching the 3rd place slip from our hands. I was so frustrated with myself because my body can't yet perform like my mind wants it to. Anyone else have similar thoughts after a local competition? I want to continue competing, but don't want to be put to shame.

SOOOO basically moral of the story:
I did a local comp, my strength was a big weakness and cost us a podium spot. I want to get stronger while still going to daily crossfit classes at my gym. Any suggestions?

@laddersdoorskeys My first local competition put me in my place. I was doing pretty well at my gym, thought I was hot shit and got crushed at a competition. I placed 8th...out of 8 :p It was definitely a good learning experience though!

I did a weightlifting comp not realizing how big of a sport it is on its own. I didn't expect to win but honestly thought my 130lb clean was something to be proud of. I got absolutely stomped!

That's why I haven't entered an oly meet yet. I have a 215 snatch and 245 clean and jerk, but at a body weight of about 210 I would just get stomped.

@dawn16 Yes if you went to a USAW meet, you probably wouldn't get on the podium. However I have competed in many many USAW meets and the one thing that rings true for every single one is that we don't care how much you lift. Every single person is trying to beat their own person bests in a competition. There is something exhilarating about matching or besting a pr on a stage in front of a crowd (usually a pretty small crowd LOL) .

So I won't tell you that you should or should not do a usaw meet, but I will tell you that the amount of weight you lift should be the last reason for not doing it.

If you have any questions about it head over to /r/weightlifting.

Totally just realized you're from the same area as me (due to your 12 labour references). Where do you crossfit? I go to crossfit cove in columbia

Im at black powder crossfit in Dallastown. We had 3 teams at the MAAC this past April. Another very humbling experience, to say the least!

@laddersdoorskeys Strength takes time to build. If you want to get stronger, spend time on it. Find a program and stick with it. Stronglifts 5x5 for example. Sometimes to really make progress in an area of weakness, you have to step away from other things for a while. Prioritize building strength over other areas, and you will get stronger.

You get better at what you focus on. No need to overthink it. Put in the work and good things will happen.

@laddersdoorskeys If you're simply interested in getting stronger, nearly any strength program with healthy dose of squats, deadlifts and presses will do it. Strength training is actually very simple. It is not easy, but it is very simple. Any 5x5 or 5/3/1 or something like that will work just fine and still leave energy for CF, provided you eat OK and get rest.

If you aspire to be a successful CrossFit competitor, I can help. Message me if you'd like.

@shonspawnel Thanks for input - any advice/specific program for me if I'm looking to spend an extra 45min (in addition to 1hr cf class) focused for strength ideally 2-3 days a week. Also, should I continue with my gym's strength component in the class in addition to a strength program?

@laddersdoorskeys 2-3 days a week?

Do a tough back squat day and a tough deadlift day. These lifts make you strong, so if you want to get strong, do them routinely.

Then, do some accessory work focused mainly on strengthening your entire back and posterior chain. Rows are good. Good mornings are good. Throw in some farmers' carries, really focusing on posture. That's what I would do.

@laddersdoorskeys As a 115# female, also one of the better athletes in my gym and a middle-of-the-road athlete in local competition, I feel your pain. I'm nowhere near being able to compete with ladies that outweigh me by 50+ lbs, even if I have great lifts for my size (I have a 285# DL and 245# squat, for example). But I have gotten stronger as I've trained! Hang in there. Something my coach suggested to me was to take one or two WODs a week and modify them to be more strength-biased instead of metcon-biased. So, for example, if he programs a 20 min AMRAP of 10 box jumps, 10 push presses at 95/65, and 10 KB swings at 1.5/1pd - I might do 10 box jumps, 5 push presses at 95, and 10 KB swings at 1.5pd. Or - if Grace is programmed, I might do heavy Grace at 115 or 125#, with less focus on the clock and more focus on good technique. I would always run the modification by him first though, and wouldn't do that more than once or twice a week - because the metcon WODs are so important too (especially in the context of competition training).

Edited to add: I do much better in team competition than I do as an individual. My bias is bodyweight/gymnastics movements, and so when I pair up with a teammate that's super strong but maybe struggles with gymnastics, we can typically do pretty well in a local setting. So maybe that's an option too - choose your teammate(s) with that in mind.

If you have time (I rarely do), you could also add a strength cycle into your week - stay an extra 30 min one day to do squats, another day deadlift, another day overhead press work, etc. But don't burn out or do it every day. Just have fun with the process above all!

@tomahawk777 You have some great lifts for your size! Honestly this is brilliant - I never though about modifying WODs that way, but something I totally want to try out. Have you found this helpful for heavy barbell cycling? How long have you been doing crossfit/how long have you been doing strength-based modifications?
Funny you say that about the team comp - I am the same way and my teammate is much stronger (she hit a 190# clean whereas I hit 150#). The bad part about this competition was that they didn't program any gymnastics, which is also what I'm better at (which is just bad programming imo).
Sometimes I like to stay after and work on extra things, but I haven't been good about it lately. Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

@laddersdoorskeys Honestly, I learned barbell cycling (competition-style) when I joined a local Grid team last year. I've been Crossfitting for a little over 3 years now. If I'm prepping for a competition, that's when I might start adding in the strength-biased WODs. Haven't done it in a while, but it does seem to make a difference (or at least, it makes me feel more comfortable handling those weights for reps). It's not something I do year-round. And as far as extra work - I think at the end of the day, it becomes a question of priority - is it worth it to you to spend extra time at the gym for strength work? For me, that time is better spent at home, so I sacrifice some of the strength I could be gaining - but I'm not trying to make it to Regionals or anything, so I'm ok with that. :)

Another thought - if you like lifting, you might try a local Oly comp or powerlifting comp, both of which are weight class based. I tend to place much better in meets like those, because I do have a strength advantage over other women my own size... just not when compared to the average female Crossfitter.

Back