Longevity & You

@sonali People forget that Spealler was a wrestler for 10+ years and competed in the NCAA before he found CF. As a fellow wrestler I can tell you that during my 12 years of wrestling I did more damage to my knees then I've done in 6 years of crossfit.

@noname5137 I don't disagree if crossfit is applied appropriately for the client. However watch the form for 60 + doing heavy snatches, thrusters, and c&j at the the games and tell me that is helping longevity. I assume that poor form is happening at most boxes since at any age people will unwisely push themselves with heavy weights. Thus I think body weight movements, wall balls, plyo jumps, kb swings , rowing etc should be the focus in a crossfit box. The most important thing is the client shows up consistently

@dawn16 The only time I get worried about injuries happening is when someone who comes in to train for longevity decides to be a competitor that day. Lifting weight should not be an issue. When we establish proper movement patterns and reinforce these movement patterns with gradually increasing weight, understanding that our progression is based on a lifetime projection, there shouldn't be any concern about lifting. Plyo jumps are just as dangerous, if not more dangerous than picking something up off the ground. If we don't train moving weight then we are setting our clients up for failure in the long term, as they will have to pick up relatively heavy things at some point.

@alandavis51 I see the comparison of Weightlifters to Crossfitters. This can only exist if we are talking about competitive crossfitters. The programming for a competitive crossfitter is not the same as crossfit for longevity and wellness. I think the competitive athletes understand that their bodies are taking a beating and will probably pay for it in some degree in later years. I'm very interested in seeing how these individuals hold up to time, especially compared to powerlifters and other athletes. I think the issue will be more about the skeletal system, but the heart and brain will remain really healthy, whereas some top end strength athletes are really prone to heart issues because they do very little cardio. There's also the fact that many powerlifters are on steroids, which could be a benefit to aging. Louie Simmons is in his 70's, he's super beat up, but he's mentally sharp as hell. He's also on steroids still, so take that how you will.

If we are doing CrossFit for longevity, I think it's the best thing you can do, with one catch. We need to do more aerobic conditioning. Our programming is going to add muscle mass, which is great for longevity. It adds more neural synapses, which I believe will help keep the mind young. It teaches proper functional movement patterns, like standing from a seated position, picking things up, and getting up off the ground, which reduces the likelihood of common injuries we see in the elderly. In consideration of intensity, form should always come first, and it's relative intensity, which helps us learn to move under duress.

What I think would be found in someone doing CrossFit for longevity for 20+ years and into their 70's and 80's is that they're more able to move from position to position. This is completely speculation, but I would compare, to a degree, being sore and halfway through a workout to the deteriorating mind and body associated with aging. We would also see an individual more mentally tough than someone who hasn't done CrossFit, which I think would help the person stay mentally healthy and with a purpose while aging.

@alandavis51 Main cause for injuries in any sport:

Ego.

You can train smart and for longevity in pretty much anything. You could also wear your elbows and knees out if you're a maniac for intense table tennis.

The poison is in the dose.

@alandavis51 I roller coaster it. In-season (November to about July) I compete at least one or two times. After, I rest up, do cardio, & do lighter. I don't necessarily gain anything, I just maintain what I have.

@alandavis51 Been doing it since 2007, or at least bastardized versions in the military until going to an actual box for almost five years now. I don't compete but have competed before. Mobility, nutrition, stretch, mobility, recovery, sleep, etc. Don't rush the process. Rome wasn't built in a day. But collapsed fairly quickly in regards to both the Eastern and Western halves.

Back