Low-Impact exercises that aren't boring AF?

ejc420

Hi, I'm a 23 Y.O overweight (5'3 and196 lbs) woman. I love to run, and two summers ago I was running about 3 miles a day and walking another 4, then working on my feet all day and my arches collapsed, leaving me with flat feet. Ever since, j have suffered from plantar fasciitis and inflammation every single time I try and pick up running or even walking long distances. No matter what kind of expensive, supportive shoes I buy with insoles nothing helps. Part of me also knows that the problem will likely improve once I lose more weight. However, I am in a rut with exercise and would appreciate any advice about getting good cardio that's low-impact and not too repetitive or boring. What do you like to do?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Wow this really blew up! Thank you all for all of the advice! I feel like I can be a bit more creative now and maybe I'll start at giving swimming a shot. I have a gym membership to L.A Fitness so everything here is pretty much doable (not cross-country skiing) but, I really really appreciate it! Also, I don't know why I never considered Netflix at the gym. Genius.

@ejc420 I'm not sure about your budget, but I LOVE my rebounder (mini trampoline). I am in good shape, but can't run because of bursitis in my knees (I'm 29). I finally bought my JumpSport a year ago because I was teaching classes and loved it too much not to have one at home and honestly I still use the thing almost every day. It is as low impact as swimming, you can go as hard or as easy as you'd like and there are a ton of benefits. Lastly, it addresses your boring af concern which is also my biggest issue. I always leave a workout happier than when I started and often catch myself smiling throughout the process.

@ejc420 Swimming, cycling (mountain biking maybe?), something like pump, I even do combat and find that to be low impact enough, but every body is different. :)

@ejc420 While I am younger by decades of the people in my class if you have a very active instructor or do deepwater, water aerobics makes me feel great... it works out means you never knew you had!

@ejc420 Along with the other suggestions of zero sole/minimalist shoes, I suggest trying running with a midfoot strike instead of the usual heel to toe, if you don't already. I ran frequently as well and ended up developing the same issues with my feet, and changing up my running style worked great.

@ejc420 If you can get to a Nordic center, I highly recommend classic XC skiing. I tore my ACL last year and I can keep that up pretty much until my hip flexors feel like they're gonna explode - about 10 miles.

I also like the rowing machine, it's great for zoning out, but can get pretty boring after a few km to me.

@ejc420 Rowing machine! I too need low-impact cardio workouts, and those are my favorite. I used to be a huge fan of stationary cycling, but it's too much hip flexion when I have a desk job. Plus, with rowing, you can compete with yourself--I do sets of 500m and try to keep it within a certain time frame and try to break my own record.

@ejc420 Look into feet shaped shoes with zero drop, there is an american bran called altra that makes running shoes. Feet in regular shoes are constricted and that causes the issues you have plus a whole more. Even if you don’t plan to run again look into it to cure your fasciitis.

@ejc420 Cross country skiing, if you have some snow, is amazing! Low impact-ish, pretty similar to running in terms of the workout you get (especially if you skate ski), plus it works your arms too, and if you're like me and you run because you like being outside, it's perfect.
Something about the combination of exercise and cold just ramps up the endorphins, and bonus if you're out in the late afternoon and get to see the winter sunsets!

@ejc420 I have no advice for what cardio to do, but I have heard that a lot of people with planter fasciities have success wearing zero drop shoes, or barefoot shoes. Have you tried that? You have to work in to them a bit slowly since our feet aren't used to walking / running in zero drop but I've read and heard of people loving them.

I use zero drop shoes for many areas of my life and love them.

@ejc420 Cycling! It’s a bit of an investment to get started but is fun if your area has good places to ride. Craigslist is a good place to look for used bike but you’ll want to make sure you get the right size. A lot of the used bikes you’ll find for sale will be men’s bikes, finding a decent women’s bike can take a while.

@ejc420 +1 for spinning, swimming for those who already suggested

(also kinda related, I used suffer from plantar fasciitis real bad and tried insoles/shoes etc. It wasn't until I got custom insoles and only wore them for awhile/rested that it got better. I don't know if you checked that out. It's expensive but so worth it. Also a PT can usually check you out and help out as well! good luck!)

@ejc420 Reformer Pilates if it’s ok on your feet!! Solidcore if you have it in your area! Edit/add: Solidcore can totally be done on your knees the whole time so you leave your feet alone (just let your instructor know beforehand so they can give you modifications but I saw someone not use their feet for a full class the other day)... it’s hard af but you will make progress faster than you think!!

@witteryoung I wish I could upvote for Solidcore more than once. Every class you're dripping sweat like five minutes in. Never boring, can always be made more or less challenging depending on your fitness level. Got hooked when I was working in NOVA.