Low-Impact exercises that aren't boring AF?

@witteryoung omg solidcore is sooooo hard. I was terrified doing it, partially because it hurt so good but I also didn't trust myself not to fall during some of the standing leg work.

@dawn16 Haha I've fallen off the machine at solidcore once - it was after I had done 100 classes too. I wasn't hurt but I couldn't stop laughing at myself, I was doing standing lunging with more springs on that I should've and I took my foot out before coming down to the machine and flopped off to the side. I was told after that I was the only one who has fallen off the machine in any of her classes.

@ejc420 Spinning is my everything. I was floating around for years flirting with different types of workouts and now I take 6-7+ spin classes a week and go every day. I don't even have a gym membership anymore lol. I know I should probably vary my workouts but I don't care. Spinning is awesome.

@ejc420 I've got gimpy knees so I do a lot of low impact exercise at the gym. Most cardio is boring. Doing intervals helps make the time go by faster, particularly if I'm the one setting the interval rather than using one of the interval programs on the machine at the gym. Usually, after a warm-up, I go one minute as hard as I can and one minute to recover. With machines like a rowing machine, I just go harder and faster during the hard minute. With a bike or elliptical, I increase the resistance. With a treadmill, since I don't run, I increase the incline while I continue to walk at the same pace.

Also, I watch tv shows on my phone (woo-hoo! for a gym with free wifi since I don't have unlimited data). The key, for me at least, is that I pick a show and ONLY watch it while I'm at the gym doing cardio, core and stretching. I've found that something that's more character and drama driven rather than episodic and action driven works best for me. The West Wing, Gilmore Girls and, my current favorite, ER have worked well. Alias, Warehouse 13 and most crime procedurals aren't as good (but, YMMV).

@cerri I don't know how people do cardio with just music or nothing at all! I have to be watching a show or I get tired and bored more easily. Plus, I don't have much free time, so catching up on a show while doing cardio at the gym really kills two birds with one stone.

@ejc420 Rowing machine! I personally can't do 20 minutes straight of rowing because it's super boring, but my trainer said if I do intervals of 2 minute rows (or whatever), it's just as good if not better than running. He used to run marathons and quit because of the high impact - strongly advocates for either rowing or kettlebell swings to maintain cardio.

Also I like rowing because it feels like I'm working my whole body instead of just my legs.

@michealjordan Or joining a rowing team!! Most cities have clubs with adult learn-to-row classes (I’ve coached before) and they can be a great way to learn a new low-impact but strenuous sport and find a new community!

@michealjordan Yesssss. I just rediscovered the rowing machine at my gym. It happens to have a little place where I can put my phone to watch a show, otherwise I would probably find it mega boring too.

@michealjordan Oof yeah. I'm a runner through and through, but one time one of my friends who does crew convinced me to erg with him. He showed me how to do proper form and all, but still the next day legit it felt like I broke my back. I had to shamefully tell my coach the next day that I was skipping practice to go to the PT office cause I was stupid and screwed up my back. He got a good laugh out of that one.

@zambiagirl Hahaha that's one of the reasons I do interval sprints rather than long sessions. I know I have lazy form, and while I'm motivated to have good technique on squats and deadlifts, for some reason I can't extend that level of care to cardio. My back doesn't hurt after sprints - only steady state.