Manna Tutorial

Back in 2016, I posted a Manna tutorial. Since then, I've revised it a bit.

This is based on the route that I took, as well as what I would have done differently, so take the following with a grain of salt. What works for me may not for you, and vice versa. Indirect and directs progressions and techniques will be discussed.

Note that this path will almost certainly lead to a solid 90° V-sit if you follow it correctly.

Contents​

Training History

Indirect Progressions
  • Shoulder Extension/Retraction
  • Pike Compression and Mobility
  • Pancake Compression and Mobility
  • Other Indirect Progressions
Direct Progressions

Technique

Suggestions

Training Plan

Conclusion

Training History​

My Manna training has been sporadic. I ran competitively, so I would strength train for a while, take a break, strength, so on, all while running quite a bit (40-50 miles per week). I did not strength train consecutively for more eight months during my Manna progressions. I am mentioning this to show that the Manna is achievable in a shorter amount of time than most think, but, then again, I started when I was 17, and I've never heard of a full-fledged adult achieving Manna, nor has Ido Portal (and he's been around the block).

I got my first 45° V-sit in January 2014. I didn't train Manna until February 2015, when I had my first real attempt. I stopped training, picked it back up in summer of 2015, stopped, then started to train it seriously again in August 2016. I attribute my ability to pick it back up to familiar motor patterns, such as this Chinese gymnast performing a full planche on rings after 15 years of little to no training. Strength may recede, but your body’s understanding of the position takes a long time to deteriorate.

Indirect Progression​

A few different strength and mobility components are required:
  • Shoulder extension/retraction strength (SER)
  • Pike compression and mobility (PiCM)
  • Pancake compression and mobility (PaCM)
While there are other small things (wrists, balance), I see these three aspects as the main block in one’s training for Manna. With that said, reverse engineering Manna will not work. You cannot train all three of these separately, then expect to magically get it.

Shoulder Extension/Retraction (SER)​

SER is something a lot of people lack due to it being an unused position. I used the following to get stronger in it:
  • Standing shoulder extension with weight. These can be done for reps (2x10-15) or for time (2x15-30s) at the end of training and should be a staple in Manna training. To progress, start with a wide grip at X weight, work to shoulder width (same width as your hands during Manna), then increase weight and go back to a wide grip. Rinse and repeat.
  • German hang to gain SER mobility. For perspective, I can slow dislocate from German hang (GH to regular hang). I worked up to an easy 5x30s on rings, with my body perpendicular to the floor.
  • Reverse plank and leans. My first progression in order to understand this was the table drill. I worked up at 5x30s to make sure I had a solid feeling and endurance in the position. From there, extend the legs to make a reverse plank. Fingers should be towards your feet or slightly turned out and arms perpendicular to the floor. Once you are strong in this position (3x30s), you can begin to lean back. You will not be able to lean much, but it will get better over time. SER should always be first priority, not the leaning. Hands will continue to face forward to stress the triceps and allow lean.

Pike Compression and Mobility (PiCM)​

Pike mobility must be established before any meaningful progress in compression can occur. I approached PiC from one angle and PiM from two:

Pancake Compression and Mobility (PaCM)​

This is a huge weak link in everyone I've met, excluding gymnasts and yoga practitioners. Most people have trouble sitting upright in a basic straddle, much less touching their chest to the ground in front of them. Kit Laughlin's Mastering the Pancake is an excellent resource, as are all of his other series.
  • (PaC1) Leg lifts: Same idea as PiC1. Sit in straddle, lean slightly forward, and lift the legs.
  • (PaM1) Pancake: I immediately started to use weight at my neck to get deeper, holding it 60s every time. Goal is chest and stomach to ground. In hindsight, adding weight immediately is probably not a good idea for the general population, so be careful if you choose this route.

Other Indirect Progressions​

There are a few exercises others use for Manna that I didn't, but I will list them here
  • Manna wall slides. These are great for improving SER strength without having to worry about balance or compression ability.
  • Spotted Manna. I personally did not think of these as that valuable, but I may not have been using them correctly. They are useful for getting used to the final position, and a competent spotter can adjust intensity as needed.
  • Weighted shoulder flex pulls. I used these occasionally for stretching, but never trained them regularly or seriously. Just another tool, and if you enjoy them, go for it.

Direct Progressions​

The progressions are as follows and should all be done on the floor or parallel bars (preferably floor, as parallel bars for later progressions are much more difficult). Do not worry about hand/wrist positioning until it explicitly says to. The numbers in parentheses establish the order (same numbers means you can work the elements simultaneously) and recommended set x rep scheme, respectively, e.g. (1, 3x15-30s) means this is the first progression you should train and you should work up to 3 sets of 15-30s per set before moving on.
  • (DP1, 3x15-30s) L-sit and progressions (tuck, advanced tuck, full): This is to help establish basic PiCM and depression strength.
  • (DP2.1, 3x15-30s) Straddle L-sit and progressions (tuck, low full, full): This is to help establish basic PaCM. Legs are parallel to the floor, but a bit less than that is fine. These may need to be done on an elevated surface.
  • (DP2.2, 3x15s) Advanced L-sit and progressions: Starting with tuck, actively push the hips forward so they are in line with (or even in front of) your hands and your back is flat. You will need to work these on an elevated surface to allow leg clearance. Work up to 3x15s, extend the legs a bit, rinse and repeat. The scapulas should be relatively neutral or a bit retracted.
From here, the Manna specific progression begin. Start working with hands backwards to get accustomed to the position. I have only seen two or three people ever with a hands-forward Manna: two trained from a very young age and one is simply strong. Assume hands-forward Manna is impossible. There is not really a solid set x rep scheme to follow.
  • (DP3) Tuck V-sit/Manna: The idea is to push the hips forward, while lifting them up. See beginning of this video before I extend my legs.
  • (DP4) Straddle high V-sit: From the tuck V-sit/Manna, extend the legs out in either direction, looking like this. This is where PaCM comes into play.
  • (DP5) High V-sit: Once you develop strength in the straddle high V-sit, bring your legs together. This is where PiCM helps. Notice how I enter the final position: my legs are in a butterfly stretch, I lift my hips, then extend my legs while continuing to lift my hips.
  • (DP6) Manna: Your legs will continue to get higher and higher in both straddle V-sit and high V-sit until they are eventually parallel. Admittedly, I never achieved a true Manna (legs completely horizontal for 2 seconds). The closest I got was about 10 degrees away from parallel for 1-2 seconds, so pretty close.
  • (DP7) High Manna: One of the rarest moves in the world, but not many people train it. From Manna, lift your legs while maintaining hip height. Progressions and performances here:

Technique​

While most of it is strength and compression/mobility, there are certain techniques to help entering and holding it.

Balance became an issue once I got to the high V-sit progression, as evident in the high V-sit video. I used the cambered hand position to help grip the ground. I got forearm splits from falling backwards while my wrists were turned backwards… Ouch. I started to train it with a couch or mats behind me to catch myself if I lost balance and fell backwards.

The primary focus is pushing the hips up and out. You can have all the PiCM in the world, but if your hips are not high enough, then your legs will not be parallel, thus no Manna. As hips elevate, your legs will come closer to parallel. Also focus on pushing the shoulders forward while raising hips to help balance out the weight.

See this picture for hip and shoulder directions visualized.

To enter the positions of (4), (5), and (6), it is best to start in a compressed butterfly stretch. This helps make compression significantly easier.

Last, but not least: point your toes!

Suggestions​

• Do these when you are fresh and warmed-up. I did these after my warm-up and HS work, but before my primary strength work. Focus on warming up the wrists, shoulders, and pike and/or pancake mobility and compression.
  • Losing weight will actually help. While spot reduction is impossible, a lower weight at the same strength is better, and some may come off of the mid-section and thighs, allowing for better PiC. I am not “ripped” by any means, and think this would have helped a lot.

Training Plan​

Now that the progressions and techniques have been laid out, training suggestions and schedules can be outlined. This schedule will be in addition to your normal training, not in replace of. The order of exercises is up to you.

The training will take place over two days: Day 1 (D1) and Day 2 (D2). They will be separated into blocks depending on what progression you are on.

Pre-DP3:
  • D1:
    • 3 sets of L-sit variation, with at least one set of normal L-sit.
    • 2 sets of pike mobility and compression. An example set would be 3x(30-60s standing pike, 10-15x pike compression leg lifts) or Emmet's H2T protocol followed by PiC leg lifts.
    • 2 sets of pancake mobility and compression. An example set would be 3x(30-60s seated pancake, 10-15x PaC leg lifts).
    • Optional: 2 sets of reverse plank leans. Begin with table for 3-5x30s, then progress to reverse plank, then begin leaning.
  • D2:
    • 3 sets of L-sit variation, with at least one set of normal L-sit.
    • 2 sets of pike mobility and compression. An example set would be 2x(30-60s standing pike, 10-15x PiC leg lifts).
    • 2 sets of pancake mobility and compression. An example set would be 2x(30-60s seated pancake, 10-15x PaC leg lifts).
    • 2 sets of standing shoulder extension with weight (reps, sets of 10-15, or for time, sets of 15-30s). Use a dumbbell, light weight bar (not barbell), or weight plate.
Once you can hold L-sit, straddle L-sit, and advanced L-sit for 3 sets of 15-30s each, you can move on to post-DP3 schedule below. Note: I understand straddle L-sit is quite difficult for some to progress. If you are frustrated with your lack of progress, you may move on to DP3 with a poor straddle L (poor = not reaching 15-30s or lack of form), but should make that your main focus on the D2 L-sit sets below.

DP3 and after:
  • D1:
    • 3 sets of DP3 or greater. Hands facing back.
    • 2 sets of PiCM.
    • 2 sets of PaCM.
  • D2:
    • 3 sets of L-sit variation, with at least one set of advanced L-sit. If your body can handle it, you can do sets of DP3 instead.
    • 2 sets of PiCM.
    • 2 sets of PaCM.
    • 2 sets of standing shoulder extension with weight OR 2 sets of reverse plank lean.

Wrists​

Wrists strength and mobility are often a weak link in most people, especially when it comes to Manna training.

To keep my wrists strong and mobile, I did the following:

Conclusion​

That's it. That's what got me to my best Manna in the image above. Feel free to ask any questions.

Understand that you will probably never achieve a true Manna, and if you do, it will be many years after starting this training. Even if you don't, a 90° V-sit is very likely and you will gain strength regardless.

@dawn16 I started yelling (excitedly) afterwards, much to the dismay of my sleeping parents. My father came running in thinking something terrible had happened. Needless to say he was not nearly as excited as I was!

@greatisyourmercy24 What is it that’s harder for a manna for a full fledged adult then child?

Also do you feel like the 40-50 miles a week may have contributed to the manna? It seems that low body weight and slim physiques always accompany the manna.

Thanks for the great write up young man !

@caralinewaterfalls I don't have a definitive answer, but my guesses are:
  • Children have a much easier time gaining strength than adults (see "Results" section of this study). Their strength-mass ratios tend to be higher, which tremendously helps with bodyweight skills. Just look at this gymnast: he has very low body fat and not much muscle, yet is able to do a planche on rings.
  • Adults tend to have poor mobility. The Manna combines three (or two, depending on how you get into it) types of mobility, almost all of which the average adult lacks: pike, pancake, and shoulder extension. Go look at r/flexibility and you can see how difficult even touching the toes are for some, much less being in full pike or touching the chest to ground in pancake.
  • I've heard (I think from Ido Portal, who knows his stuff and knows people who know their stuff—I can't seem to find the post/comment, so if someone knows what I'm talking about please link) that it is difficult to develop balance skills after a certain age (I seem to remember age 8). I can see the same concept applying to strength training, especially since a majority of strength gains are neurological. I've tried looking for any studies backing up Ido's claim, but have come up empty-handed. Some anecdotal evidence can be seen on this Instagram page, where some of the posts feature very young girls performing advanced OAHS variations. Comparing this to adults trying to learn handstands, it's obvious the children have a much easier time. Perhaps @deborah123 can provide some input?
Yes, low BW and slimness does help, but I was not doing that mileage nor the same bodyweight (~135 lb / 61 kg) when I achieved my Manna. I was around 155 lb / 70 kg and focusing on gymnastics strength training while only running once or twice per week.

@greatisyourmercy24 I mainly think it's juts the extreme flexibility and extreme strength component. Most people will have dedication for one but not the other or vice versa. Both are easier to gain when you're a kid plus faster strength to bodyweight development at low weight like you said.

Good tutorial. Makes me wanna start training manna again as I got 10-15 degrees off the whole thing and would be nice to get the whole one!

@greatisyourmercy24 Thanks for this! Regarding the 3rd point I doubt that balance is the main issue for adults: OAHS variations ‘simply’ (like a manna) demand a high strength-to-weight ratio and flexibility in ranges that adults often lack. In addition children learn faster (re the neurological argument), especially when coached by a professional, and/or in a pretty serious context. Or is there something Im missing here?

@sam2017 I don't think OAHS requires as much strength as you may expect - someone who can hold a few sets of 1:00+ min HS and can press (pike and Stalder) likely has the strength to hold a OAHS.

The flexibility only truly requires open (180°) shoulders and ability to do a half straddle. Open shoulders is challenging for some but attainable for most, and half straddle is attainable for virtually everyone (I don't see how someone can't do half straddle).

@greatisyourmercy24 Thanks for the reply! Sorry, shouldve maybe clarified: the examples on instagram you shared are pretty advanced, including leaning etc. Those definitely take (more) strength and flexibility, right?

And I guess Im also slightly confused by what balancing is. Ive got a 1m+ hs and can balance objects on my head for several minutes. Isnt balance nothing more than constantly correcting the fall of an object? In the case of OAHS, you are correcting most of your bodyweight with 1 hand/shoulder. That does demand a pretty serious strength to weight ratio.

Im not saying you or Ido are wrong (who am I to say so), but I just think balancing skills are very learnable, also by adults (albeit slower and to a lower standard perhaps).

@greatisyourmercy24 Thanks mate, but I wouldn't hold my breath. My long-term goal is to work up to pancake. Short-term is increasing pike compression and hamstring flexibility for an effort toe touch and a decent forward fold.

Both rank lower in terms of priorities so I don't actively work them enough to make decent progress. Maybe they'll move up one day.

Thanks for the excellent write-up. Saved in my Notes right under your old one ;)

Back