metcon 3 v Nano 7

masterp48hd

i'm sure everyone has seen this flooding Instagram. But what are everyone's thoughts on the 3 different types of metcon 3s? Wouldn't the fly knit just be destroyed on the rope climb? Maybe the $160 version is just for coaching or post-wod wear (ie. minimal wear/tear). Also the nano7s look a bit odd - they look like the lunar sole. But as i'm writing this, I think ill still end up getting the metcon 3's

@masterp48hd I think you are understating the durability of the Flyknit material. I have several pairs of Flyknit shoes, and the material that is immediately above the sole is incredibly durable. It is thicker than the basic mesh Flyknit which in turn makes the shoe more sturdy. If you look at pictures of the Flyknit, the material immediately above the sole is noticeably thicker and extends higher than your typical running shoe, likely to make the shoe more sturdy to press against with your foot and more abrasive resistant. The Flyknit mesh material that is more stretchy and less durable is only immediately over the forefoot. I seriously doubt that Nike would make a training shoe that was intended only for leisure-wear; that is inherently contradictory.

Nike is doing the exact same thing Reebok did a few years ago with the Compete 614. They have a price point shoe, a base-line mid-tier shoe, and a premium shoe. All are intended for the same use with varying degrees of performance.

@masterp48hd Just to be clear on the Metcon 3. There are 2 'top level' version: Metcon 3 and Metcon 3 DSX - Flyknit.

The shoes posted by Nike athletes: Cole Sager, Sara Sigs, Mat Fraser etc all seem to be the 'regular' Metcon 3, which is not Flyknit. Pricing for these appears to be unchanged from Metcon 2's at $130 USD.

The 'Metcon 3 DSX - Flyknit' is the more expensive option, looks like pricing will be $190 USD. This is the shoe that features Flyknit. I don't think durability should be a concern. Nike has been using Flyknit in soccer cleats, running shoes, and training shoes for several years now.

@enette Super comfy. I would never wear them for working out though. I'll probably buy a pair for my casual shoes though, because I love the way they look and they're the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned (other flyknit shoes).

@masterp48hd I sure hope what I've seen aren't the new nanos because they're as ugly as sin. If Reebok pushes those I might have to go to the dark side and support Nike again. Not that they need my help.

@masterp48hd I'm sure a company with the r&d facilities like Nike would of thought how they will cope with rope climbs.

In the press release there is nothing to suggest not using them for that only that they may not be as good for heavy lifting compared to the standard 3's (due to the new cushioning system)

Nike have been testing this from before the 2's hit general sale.. they plan far ahead (I've seen proto 4's)

Back