Mind-Muscle Connection: What's the evidence?

@lupo In my opinion I think it's lift explosively on the concentric for compound lifts / powerlifting (squats, deadlift, bench, etc.), especially in the 1-5ish rep range, and do mind-muscle connection for isolation / bodybuilding movements (curls, lateral raises, etc.) in the 8-20+ ish range.

It makes more sense to me that way at least. I can't really feel my chest that much on bench, despite it working pecs hard obviously, but doing cable flyes for 12 reps I can get a great MMC there. Neither is "better," do both.

@this_dot Awesome post! Very interesting indeed. I have been training with bodyweight exercise for close to 6 years. I managed to get quite big without ever having to use weights.

One thing I found always helped was focusing on the mind muscle connection- when I would do this I would feel a greater burn in those specific muscles, more DOMS in those muscles in the following days and overall increased gains after time.

I didn’t know there was any research on the topic so thanks for looking into it; I always put it down to logical common sense as I assumed it would be harder to utilise muscle groups one couldn’t feel, similar to teaching a person to mimic certain dance moves when they haven’t developed the mind muscle connection. No matter how hard they try, they do it ‘wrong’ by trying to execute the same movements with the wrong muscle groups.

Thanks 🙏🏾
Ed

@ntp Off topic, but since you have experience here, do you know why my glutes are being utilised when I try doing the front lever? I've scoured the internet and nothing points towards the glutes being a proponent of this exercise.

@biblebob541 You know what that’s a very good question. I’ll answer this with a combination of personal experience and science.

Till date I can’t actually do front levers properly. There are a few reasons for this.

◼️ The first is progressive overload, I progressed really slowly; this was to maximise overall gains as the rate of muscle hypertrophy is limited. So I didn’t attempt front levers until recently.

◼️ Incorrect mind muscle connection- when I finally attempted front levers I never watched any tutorials. I based my form on what muscles I thought the movement involved; largely the core and lats.

Using this incorrect form, I was able to hold one legged front levers well for about 10 seconds each leg. However, I could only hold full front levers for up to 6 seconds, my hips would start to drop almost immediately. Utilising this mind muscle connection is much more intense on the lats but is largely unstable and here’s why.

Glutes- one of the major functions of the glutes is to bring the pelvis in line with the body. Hence, in a deep squatting position, the glutes are utilised to bring the pelvis back in line with the body. The same principle for glute bridges and a large majority of exercises for the glutes.

Front lever- When holding a front lever, ones lats, rear delts and other back muscles hold the body up against gravity. The core is required to keep the whole torso in a parallel line.
But now the lower half. Since one is hanging against the force of gravity, this becomes a large counterweight.

◼️ If the legs are tucked no action from the glutes is required, as the pelvis is not required to be in line with the torso- explaining why I was able to hold one legged front levers easily with this form.

◼️ If the legs are straight, then activation of the glutes are essential to maintain the position with stability. They are required to lift and hold the pelvis (now under the force of gravity) in line with the torso. This is the same principle as a glute bridge. If you do what I did for a while- tried not to activate the glutes, you will be able to hold it for a second or so and then your pelvis will slightly drop to compensate making the movement look rather messy.

Why no one talks about glute activation when doing front levers?

◼️ The most likely reason is that a lot of people don’t realise that they are activating their glutes. A lot of people don’t pay much attention to mind muscle connection and hence, when teaching others how to do movements that are second nature to them, they miss out on a lot of vital info that actually make all the difference.

◼️ A lot of people that do calisthenics don’t train their legs to the same degree and hence have small legs- the lighter the legs proportionally, the lighter the counter weight, the less glute activation required to stabilise the movement. I noticed that when I lost 10lbs of lean muscle (didn’t train in 6 months), then regained some upper body mass without training legs this time around, I was able to hold full front levers for longer before my pelvis dropped even with incorrect form.

Sorry for the essay, the question was an interesting one that I always wanted to discuss. This is a full bodyweight workout of mine with a lot of hypertrophy based commentary if your interested:

Full bodyweight workout

Thanks!

Ed

@ntp Oh shit thank you so much good sir! As I was reading I was anticipating a mistake in my posture and I'm glad to know that it is indeed an actual phenomenon and not me doing something wrong and setting me back months! I've been training my front levers for the past year or so and I'm able to do bent knee levers (straight till the knees) so I'm not quite nearly there yet.

Thanks for the link! I will gladly devour it and improve myself everywhere possible. Cheers man.

@this_dot
it won’t hurt you, it may help, don’t stress too much about it.

Lol, legit love citing all the studies to come to this conclusion. ❤️

That is honestly the answer to 90% of questions people ask about minor things like this, or nutrient timing/supplementation/time of day to work out/whatever is the cool new thing everyone is talking about.

@dawn16 You're welcome! It's the kind of thing I can't just go with someone's feel or opinion... As I was doing the research anyways, it's not hard to compile for you guys.

@this_dot What about me - I have a neuromuscular disease called Mysethenia Gravis- it greatly interferes with acetylcholine and muscle function. I was a very strong weight lifter super girl. When I walk into the gym MY MIND thinks I'm awesome and that I can bench my body weight but my muscles do otherwise. Am I just not thinking enough?

The first 3 paragraphs completely nailed the key details of my rare disease, nobody really understands it, you described muscle nerve connection perfectly.

@charlierish The OP reduced the mind to conscious thought, and perhaps that's also approach that the studies he looked at took. However, the mind is much more than conscious thought, it's not even limited to being inside the body (that's the brain). So I don't think the relation between your mind and your muscles is something like "mind over matter". The "mind muscle connection " is merely the very fact that our mind is already always in a relationship to the muscles, not something you choose to employ or don't.

@this_dot This is very interesting info, thank you for posting!That makes sense about skill needing focus on the whole movement as a skill is not performed by a single muscle. Rather it is a coordination of multiple muscles timed to contract at the right amount and moment. I would say though most movements are skills short of single joint open chain exercises (bicep curls). I’d say for most exercises in this sub that would mean an external focus would be better.

@this_dot Interesting read, thanks for posting, great to see this topic becoming more mainstream.

You might be interested in looking into Contrology which was created by Joseph Pilates, It's the art of Mind-Body control with an emphasis on using the breath to strengthen the mind-body connection. It has a wide variety of uses from treating people with serious head traumas such as strokes/paralysis to walk again, to professional athletes and dancers to prevent injury and help them utilize all of their muscles.

Here's a guy performing an advanced 6-minute classical Pilates workout

Here's a good example of an intermediate level Pilates class being taught by respected teacher Rael Isacowitz

Brief history of Joseph Pilates

Edit: Here's a list of beginner courses on /r/pilates

@this_dot Focusing on specific muscles mentally can help to iron out kinks in exercise form. Sometimes while performing rows or pull ups my right side begins to pull harder than my left. I can focus on the muscles in my left arm to engage and pull harder while imagining my right side pulling a bit less. This helps me to balance things out. I usually need to focus on doing this in later reps, especially in later sets, when I begin to get a bit more fatigued.