No grip strength

rudolph1

So I'm a newbie to CrossFit, I started three months ago. Today we practiced toes to bar which was my first time doing anything on the bar. This was very confronting because I was not even able to hang on to the bar for more than 3 seconds. :eek: I even ended up ripping my hand and doing regular sit ups instead.

I really want to get better at this! Any tips on how to train your grip? Do grip strengthener’s work? Any tips welcome!

@rudolph1 There are three types of grip strength - hanging from something, holding onto something, and squeezing things together. TTB require the first (as do pull ups, etc.). You improve hanging strength by ---wait for it --- hanging from things. That's it. Before and after every class, hop onto the rig and hold on. Might be 3 seconds for the first few days, but eventually it'll be 10 seconds, then 30, then 1 minute, then 2 minutes... (and then it's time to try the Coffland Hero WOD).

While you're at it, improve the other types of grip strength too - hold onto heavy things and go for a walk (farmers carries), and squeeze light plates together and/or get the squeezy things). For sll these things, you need to work as far past the point of "shit, this is uncomfortable" as you can.

Deliberate grip work is critical - a weak or quickly tiring grip is a huge limiter as you progress. And (it should go without saying) learn and use the hook grip. Good luck.

@rudolph1 r/griptraining may have some tips!

Also in addition to training your grip strength, it’s important to learn proper hand care to prevent tears. I used to rip my hands during any heavy T2B, BMU, OR C2B workout. Since I started moisturizing with a balm every night and shaving my calluses when they get too big, I haven’t ripped my hands in almost a year. I use Burts Bees Hand Salve and some German callus shaver I found on Amazon.

@rudolph1 Get some good grips for starters! The best out there in my opinion are the Alec Smith grips. Learn how to use them properly and you’ll be amazed what a difference they make. 👍

using a hook grip on the bar. This means your knuckles are on top of the bar and your thumb touches your pointer finger or middle finger. This rgrip allows your wrist—not your hands—to be the hinge for your kipping swing, thus eliminating much of the friction on the pull-up bar that causes tears. (Note: this hook grip is not the same kind of hook grip you’d use for barbell movements. The thumb goes on the outside of the fingers rather than under the fingers.)

@rudolph1 Buy one of those bars that goes in the door opening and practice hanging for a couple of minutes everyday.
Start by doing 5 sets of 5sec hanging and resting for 30sec.
Work your way up. You'll see your hangtime will go up very quickly.