On the verge of 53 and working on building stamina & strength

fizzywig

Hello! I’m looking to connect with folks who are fighting the good fight against the “suddenly everything hurts” after 50 phenomenon and the tenacious propensity to develop belly fat. I have chosen walking as my main fitness activity because, um, everything else hurts. For my 53rd birthday this weekend, I’ve chosen an 8lb. weighted vest as my gift. I had purchased hand weights initially, but then read way too much about how those can cause neck, shoulder, and posture issues, so back they go, unopened, to Amazon. For reference, I am female, 5’2” and 133lbs. I’ve read that a weighted vest between 5% and 15% of your body weight is appropriate for beginners. Eight pounds is 6% of my body weight, so I think I’m gonna be OK. Anyone have any experience with these? I’m especially jazzed about it because I’ve read that these vests can improve bone density. I plan to not only use it on my walks, which at this point range from 2 to 3 miles on varied paved terrain several times a week, but while doing housework, especially going up and down our stairs all day. Any walkers out there? Let’s start a conversation!

@fizzywig Hi there, age 51 here, and right there with you. I've been doing CICO and a lot of cycling since March and have managed to drop nearly 50 pounds, much of it from the middle. But we don't really have any control over where the fat comes off from because everyone is going to be different in that respect. Pain - wise, I do a lot of yoga and will take the odd Advil if needed, but I've not really had a lot of pain tbh... I chose cycling because it's so much easier on the body than running. I do go for long walks sometimes as well.

@fizzywig Yeah, I’m over 50 and feeling it. It hurts a little more after exercise than it used to, and I’m slower to recover (or heal 🤕), but it’d hurt more to sit still so I am fighting the good fight and staying active, and actually having some fun 🤩 in the process…