C25K isn't working for me

@indekee When I started doing c25k, I'm pretty sure I got passed by an old man walking with a cane.

Your body meeds to adjust. You're still running, even if it doesn't feel like it. It still counts.

@indekee Unfortunately, going slowly will probably help you the most. I would go back to the day you first started having trouble and repeat that until you feel comfortable. Sprinting will definitely work your legs but the only way to build up cardio is to do more of it.

@dawn16 I have been repeating the workouts I fail on. I fail at the five minute runs and today I even failed the three minute run, probably because I was already frustrated with myself. Sometimes I think my own head gets in the way.

@indekee I've found running to definitely be a lot of mental work. Do you fail because you can't breathe or you just feel really tired? Is it hot where you are? Even if you're running so slowly that you can walk faster, it will still help. Another thing you can try is to cross train on the rest days. Anything that will get your heart rate up will help with the breathing part.

@dawn16 I get to where I feel like I can't breath and my heart is going so fast and all I can think about is getting a deep breath in. It feels similar to a bad asthma day or panic attack.

@indekee I have tried and failed at C25k many times. I used to get so wound up about running that I would hyperventilate and freak myself out.

I was running with my SO, who has a much longer stride than me and for whom running comes much more naturally. I think I was running far too fast to try to keep up with him.

This summer, I decided to try this running thing again. I go out by myself, not with him. And I just slog around very slowly. I started out barely making it 5 minutes at a time. I had some really frustrating days. I just kept on going. I haven't put it together yet, but with two short walk breaks, I was able to do 32 minutes the other day.

I try to maintain a breathing rhythm to help keep from flipping out. Also running super slow has also helped.

Good luck, I never thought I would be going out to run on my own accord! But now I feel so proud after I run.

@neoxenosangelo This last summer I was diagnosed with asthma for the first time, they did a series of tests in a sealed box and a weird aparatus I had to breath through or blow against. I "show strong response to broncho dialatiors" .

So it is possible that it plays a role. I just really don't like it.

Day to day the breathing is usually fine unless we have a thunderstorm brewing. I use a daily inhaler and a rescue - the rescue only very rarely.

@indekee If you feel like you're having an asthma attack during running, have you tried taking your rescue inhaler before runs? There are high level athletes who are asthmatic who do this- it's not cheating or harmful, it's just fighting the physical disadvantage you have of having bronchoconstriction when you run.

Also, if your comfortable running pace is genuinely slower than your brisk walk, why not first build up to 30 mins of brisk walking?

@robertbrowny Mostly because I feel like if I don't push, if I always stay where it is comfortable, I'll never get better than I am right now.

Also, I get a lot of shit for "running" and 18 minute mile. Both online and in person from people I try to do things with.

@indekee I'm not giving you shit at all. I'm acknowledging that there are 2 gaits you can do at that pace- a running gait and a brisk walk. I can understand wanting to push yourself but if cardiovascularly you're struggling to get past the 5 minute mark, it might be more beneficial to work up to 30 minutes at that pace but walking - since that's less of a strain on joints and muscles- and then go back to C25K where you may find you can progress through the workouts more quickly and not hit a plateau like this.

Getting fitter definitely does involve pushing past discomfort but if you feel like you're having a panic attack on what should be a slow paced workout, you're pushing too hard. And if, as you say, going slower while maintaining a running gait is actually uncomfortable for you, then a brisk walk that maintains the aerobic workload and pace but is less uncomfortable for you might be a more sustainable option to build up your fitness towards your goal of completing C25K in the future.

@robertbrowny I didn't mean to imply you were. I read the running subs or the fatlogic subs and they are always people with that running pace are liars and not running at all. I've been training with my BF for almost 2 years and he's exasperated with the lack of ability to progress past this point.

I can walk literally for hours. I'm fine with it. We have walking trails converted from unused rail lines that we've done five and ten miles on and the heat in summer gets to me before the ability to breath or move does. It just feels like I need to push past this step to get any better.

@indekee I think the rescue might be needed - I need mine for exercise. Like you, was diagnosed with asthma just this year (in my 30s). I mostly swim, but I can only do about 100m before I am totally out of breath and feel awful. I get out of the pool and use the inhaler, and then get back in and do another 900m NO PROBLEM. I use it for all cardio - HIIT, running, everything. Can't tell you how much of a difference it has made in my life!

Of course, if your daily isn't controlling the asthma go back and see your doctor, you might need the dose of your daily adjusted.

@indekee I commented on your OP as well, but I also wanted to add I also have exercise induced asthma so I have been exactly where you are and just finished the program last night. I don't have to use my inhaler anymore and I haven't for quite a while, it sounds like yours is a little more severe possibly than mine was I only had albuterol to use before running ever but I also have very severe year-round airborne allergies (might be something to look into for you too!) that I'm on immunotherapy for, after a year of allergy shots almost all of them are down and breathing is MUCH easier, still tough but loads better.

You might have to take it even slower than other people to build up your lung endurance, just remember it takes lots of time and effort and you can't expect to see dramatic results super quickly especially with a health condition. I couldn't even run long enough to even tell my legs were working at first, now it's the opposite I can breathe pretty easily for almost the first mile after that it gets a little tougher but I can still push through it and no attacks, just run a little slower til I catch my breath then pace back up. But you will see results and you will get there just keep at it!

Something else that sort of helps me is to focus on breathing the whole time I'm running so I breathe a pattern so something like two breaths in, 2 breaths out, if I'm really out of breath two breaths in one huge breath out. Might be worth giving a try to help control your breath when you're really struggling!

@indekee How far in are you?

It sounds like you don't have the strength in your legs yet. This can take considerable time to build.

If five minutes is your absolute max then go for three, walk a minute or two and go three again. Keep repeating. I think mixing in the sort of max effort sprint intervals like you described will help you too but not on the long runs. But overall, it takes patience and consistency. Don't get too caught up in what you can't do yet. Just do what you can then one day you will realize that you are able to do so much more than you used to be able to . Unfortunately a lot of what building up to distance is amounts to slowly chugging through long runs.

@profsanctvs Yes. Yes it would. And the only way to build the strength required for endurance running is to slow way down and keep going for a long time. If she wants to short cut her cardio a bit HIIT does that, but she'd still hit a wall if her legs aren't strong enough.

@sherivickery I alternate weight lifting and running. My squat is almost my complete body weight, so I'm pretty sure that even if I am not super strong I have a decent amount of leg and ass muscle.

It is the alternating 3 minute and 5 minute runs. I can do the three, but then on the 5 I feel like I can't do it. I really don't know how to tell if this is a matter of ability or mental block.