[Progress] 2 years

@faithwithobedience Good on you! You look awesome!!!

I'm with you on the scheduling with eating- everyone seems to think that you need to pace your calories throughout the day but I disagree. Just train your body to adapt well to differences in the routine, so you end up doing more of an "intermittent fasting" approach. I myself don't eat breakfast, small lunch, and then do whatever I want to at dinner and it works fantastically. I never gain fat that's for sure.

@faithwithobedience Great job. ! Definitely looks like your in a better place emotionally in the second pic. I have struggled with anxiety most of my life and when I got into working out the mental change was night and day. I think that's the most important thing because that will keep you going long after the early progress. Cheers

@faithwithobedience Probably one of the best post I've read on accomplishing goals and one of the most important ones you have built is confident. I would like to see other posts on your accomplishments. Good Luck to you.

@faithwithobedience Great job man, you're in your 40's, lived through a divorce and still managed to pick yourself up and get into shape.

About self-improvement: How about you go out make some friends? Maybe join some sports team or get into martial arts (you look like that could suit you)

@dawn16 In the past I made a few attempts to put on muscle, but I never stuck with it long enough to really see much progress. There were 2 things that were different this time that I think made the difference. One was that I found a reason to work out. I fell in love with obstacle course races. So I wasn't working out just for its own sake, I was working out to do better at the next race. The other difference was making it part of my morning routine. I do a set, I brush my teeth. I do a set, I floss and use mouthwash. I do a set, I shave. Etc.

@faithwithobedience I hadn't read your post immediately and saw your photos and first thought, "What a handsome man." A smile makes a world of difference. Healthy and happy is the best feeling ever right?

Keep up the awesome work.

@thomaslowrens Initially I couldn't do a "real" pull up. I had to have my palms facing me and my hands close together. It was more of a row than a pull up. But I aimed for 3 per set. I couldn't actually do 3 per set, mind you, but that was the goal. When I couldn't pull myself up to finish a set, I would jump up and slowly lower myself to get my 3. Once I was able to do all 5 sets without jumping, I fixed my grip and started over. Once I worked back up to 3 per set without jumping, I added a 4th to each set, etc.

Push ups I started out attempting 10 per set. And again, once I could successfully do 10 every set, I'd add more.

Squats and abs are a bit weird. For squats, I already had a pretty good base because I had already been doing a lot of running. So I jumped straight into the one leg squats I'm doing now. For abs... I kinda just did 10 second contractions from the start as well. I'm not really lifting any weight, per se, just contracting as hard as I can and holding it for a count of 10. Presumably as I've gotten stronger the contractions are stronger, but since I'm always putting my maximum effort into it, it just kinda scales on its own.