Progress post: my first intentional bulking/cutting cycle

roman1982

I've been debating for a while whether I should make this post because my results are not particularly impressive. But progress can look like this too, so I still want to share it.

General information
  • Bulk: Sept 2023 - middle of Feb 2024.
  • Cut: middle of Feb - end of March.
  • Stats: 27 y.o., 5'5" (165 cm). Starting weight 124.3 lbs, highest weight 132 lbs, current weight 128 lbs (56.5 kg, 60 kg and 58.2 kg, respectively).
  • Weight change from Libra app, calories+TDEE+weight.
Background

I started lifting weights in September 2022 at ~52 kg (114.5 lbs) after 2 years of solely doing BodyPump. During my first year, I gained ~4.5 kg without counting calories (ah, newbie gains). Then, progress stalled, probably because I wasn't eating enough, so I decided to try bulking.

Progress pictures (NSFW)

Back1, back2, front1, front2, side. All the left ones are before (September 2023), the right ones are after (yesterday). There's no drastic difference, but I feel like my body is now denser, a bit better shaped, and there's a bit more muscle everywhere in general. I'm especially happy with delt growth, as delts are very hard for me to grow.

Training routine

I mostly followed an upper/lower split 4x a week. Initially, I trained with periodization (as suggested by a coach): first week 4 sets of 12-15 reps, second week 5 sets of 8-12 reps, third week 6 sets of 3-8 reps, fourth week rest (3 sets of 10-12 reps at low intensity). Then, the cycle would repeat with slightly higher weights. In January, I modified my routine, switching to 2 lower and 3 upper body days over an 8-day "week". I also excluded highest and lowest rep ranges because I enjoy the 6-12 (up to 15 for accessories) rep range the most. When bulking, I didn't do dedicated cardio. During a cut, ~30 min/week. My average step count was about 10k.

Strength gains

I wouldn't say I made any crazy strength gains. My lifts increased, but quite slowly. (Sorry, everything in kg)
  • Squat: 75 kg ×3 → 85 kg ×3
  • RDLs: 60 kg ×10 → 80 kg ×10 (I only started doing them in September, that's why they progressed so much)
  • Hip thrusts: 80 kg ×10 → 90 kg ×10
  • Pull-ups (wide grip): 8 → 10
  • Bench press: 50 kg ×6 → 55 kg ×5
  • Single-arm DB rows: 22 kg ×12 → 28 kg ×12
What I will do differently next time
  • Use an adaptive TDEE calculator!!! (I wasn't using it until January) It's soooo convenient.
  • No ego lifting, quality over quantity - although I was already trying to prioritize this, there's always room for improvement.
  • No periodization in the form I did it. It felt good and relaxing psychologically, but I found it difficult to track my progress when constantly changing rep ranges.
  • Fewer compounds, more experimenting with what actually feels good. I think I shouldn't have focused on squats and bench so much. First of all, I progressed a lot on these lifts during my first year of training and my progress on them had already stalled. Second, I have trouble squatting with good form. Like, my form is good enough, but not perfect and requires a lot of conscious effort. Not optimal for hypertrophy. Now, after the cut, I excluded barbell squats from my routine and my knees and lower back are feeling so good. I think next time, I'd include more stable exercises: cables, machines, the Smith machine.
  • Longer and slower bulk. I only gained 7.7 lbs, partly because COVID threw me back. On the other hand, sometimes I was rushing it because I was impatient and wanted to see the number on the scale grow all the time, so it often felt overwhelming, especially in the end of the bulk.
What now

Now I'm going to maintain my current physique. I'm tired of tracking, so I'm now eating intuitively and only monitoring my weight. I'm going to focus on calisthenics and skill work. Currently, I'm happy with my weight and don't want to be any lighter or heavier. But maybe I'll bulk again sometime in the future.

@roman1982 This is super helpful, thanks so much for sharing! We have similar stats - I am 165cm and started my weightlifting journey in Feb 2023 at ~52kg as well 😁 I've been lifting 2-3x/week (I work at minimum 65h/week and it can go up to over 80h so it's been a real effort to stay consistent), but I hope to achieve results like yours over the next year! This is such an inspiration to me 🤩

@roman1982 Girl you look great!!! I notice your collarbones look straighter and are popping more, do you know if a specific exercise did this or maybe less body fat? I’m trying to achieve the same thing

@tmi11er Didn't even notice it. I think it's just angle/lighting, or maybe my posture is slightly different in the second pic. I doubt that you can change the shape of your collarbones with exercise 😅 But yes, the leaner you are, the more visible they are. I believe pecs affect it as well. My collarbones were popping much more when I had almost no pecs (but I don't think it's a good thing)

@ferero I built some muscle, strength, and endurance (I also occasionally did HIIT classes called BodyAttack). I had anorexia before it, so I started from zero. Went from ~48 to ~52 kg. But my nutrition was quite bad, so I surely could've benefited more from it. Also, it wasn't that consistent, unfortunately. I took summer breaks (because that club did them), and my muscles deflated by autumn every time :)) I think BodyPump is a great place to start with physical activity

@roman1982 Really good post. I enjoy reading what others have done. I do recomp rather than cut and bulk because I find I simply can't let go of the fear of gaining weight with a bulk and I also struggle with restriction on a cut - too much engrained thinking from old fashioned diet crap from the media.

Your photos look great. You may wish to consider taking measurements as well. I find that better than weighing myself. However, fair warning - measurements and photos may not always show your muscle gains. I've found after a couple of years of strength training that even though I've gained muscle (which also feels denser) I've ended up smaller in size and weight and it's unnoticeable when wearing clothes.