My transformation/progress (30/M/170cm/69kg) from calisthenics (x-post from /r/fitness/)

@shediac Thank you, lovely lady! Sorry I haven't really been posting. Progress has been slow so I didn't really feel there's been anything worthwhile sharing.

@jasminemark Absolutely.

You don't have to be strict unless you have a specific and difficult goal. My only aim is to live a lifestyle healthy enough so that when I do eventually have a family, I can be the kind of dad that keeps up with the kids instead of sitting on his arse.

@musikgirl Yes. Rest is important. I've added extra info on my current routine as well as covering rest days. Basically i do a single circuit on my "rest" days unless I need to fully recover for something big in which case I now take up to a week off without any exercise.

@pederson07 I wish I had a structured plan but the honest truth is I was constantly adjusting my plan because as my strength grew, more advanced movements became possible for me which then replaced my initial exercises. Setting little milestones/goals just outside your capabilities and updating your routine based on how you are performing at your current exercises is very highly recommended.

@beaud20 Thank you. I was pretty surprised as well. I suspect the resistance training was a shock to the system after doing only bboying for so long which promoted faster muscle adaptation.

@dawn16 It's really only sustainable at the start because the amount of reps are so low. Eventually the reps/circuits get to a point where muscle fatigue will more likely happen but I would adjust them to make sure I was doing at least something every day.

@riverrose This is inspiring stuff! Because of you, I've started a similar program today.

Your program is so simple that it really takes away all the typical "I don't have time to get to [insert whatever here]" excuses. I'm adding planks and cardio (jump rope when I can't make time to get outside and run or bike) to help with my particular goals.

I doubt I'll see the kind of gains you did but I'm looking forward to feeling fit and being able to move myself effortlessly again.

Thank you for the inspiration. Keep up the good work and keep spreading the word of how big an impact little daily changes can make.

@riverrose Great work man!

A few questions:
  1. On your exercise ratios you've got 9 dips to 6 pushups. This seems backwards. Normally I would think dips are a more difficult movement for most.
  2. After you initially started, did you try to keep the same ratios at all? Or did you just go to 10 reps on everything and call it good.
  3. When you mention squats, were these bodyweight progressions, or did you use weights?
Thanks.

@nangua321
  1. I realise that, and come to think of it once I reached a certain amount of progress, push ups DID become easier than dips. I do try to do more dips than push ups though because tricep strength is invaluable for my goals.
  2. For pull exercises, my standard set tops out at 15 on normal days unless I'm going for volume. My push up sets are usually 30-50 reps depending on how I feel but I try to keep them in multiples of ten (I will do 40 or 50 reps, but not 43 for example). My dips I usually do 20 as standard. Squats I do between 30 and fifty depending on how I feel. Calf raises I do until I just before feel I may cramp if I were to keep going.
  3. Bodyweight progressions, although if I am at the gym and am using a barbell... I do 8-12 reps.