My transformation/progress (30/M/170cm/69kg) from calisthenics (x-post from /r/fitness/)

@slvceli To figure out my form failure reps, I would simply attempt as many reps as I could to total failure and half that amount.

Say for example I'd try a set to failure and get 12 reps as a result... I halved that number and could then pretty easily manage 6 reps of high quality. I'd use that total to work out how many I needed of the other exercises.

The pain is there but not unbearable. I also can't do handstands as much as I want to because that puts the most stress on my wrists. If it's medical like the arthritis in your case I would err on the side of caution and instead ask that you speak to a physician for training advice.

@riverrose Do you do any cardio?

I find that whenever I add cardio to my workout routines I end up losing motivation to workout. I'm going to stick to straight calisthenics and a few weighted exercises for awhile. I've set a minimum number of exercises that I have to daily, but it doesn't have to be all at once. 26/M
  • 50 pushups
  • 50 situps
  • 100 squats
  • 20 Curls
  • 50 calf raises
  • 15 pullups (this can vary because I change grips so)
I've only been doing to for 2 days and will end up adjusting some of these numbers, but so far it's been great. Thanks for helping to motivate me.

@cfan
Do you do any cardio?

I try to do HIIT with that same circuit though I feel I'm reaching the apex of what is possible with my methods. I'm thinking of taking up skipping or running because training cardio with these exercises just made me really good at pull ups but I get absolutely gassed trying to run long distance.

Those are great totals. I would suggest splitting those daily totals into a manageable amount of sets (I usually split my daily quota's into 4-5 sets). If you can do those sets using the gtg method easily then you can increase the difficulty by trying to do them in fewer sets (3 or fewer).

I've only been doing to for 2 days and will end up adjusting some of these numbers, but so far it's been great. Thanks for helping to motivate me.

That's awesome! Adjusting them based on how your body is responding to the exercise (both results wise as well as DOMs) is highly recommended. Everyone is different and may not develop identical strength traits in similar timeframes. You're very welcome. I look forward to seeing the results of your new mindset. :)

@riverrose STEROIDS!!!

no rlly tho, you look better in 14 weeks than I do after a year of half-assed training whilst program hopping like a gay playboy bunny on cocaine (perhaps, I need to cut)

Your transformation must be a sign from God since I'm planning to pursue a similar progressive overload self-made program formed around the G2G philosophy; except with weight instead of repitions.

You had a hard time getting through your break up, but you're a very aesthetically changed man now.

Congrats on your transformation- get dem bishes

@stephani Ahahaha I did have a few friends ask if I used steroids, but nope... just good ol' fashioned hormonal rage as a result of a break-up. It's remarkable how focused you can become when you are trying desperately to keep your mind off of things. After a while it became habit and I stopped being such a an emotional wreck.

The change went beyond physical... it changed my philosophy on life as well as how I treat and see others. I wasn't a very nice person admittedly before the change so I'm quite thankful for it. Even if I did have to lose someone to give myself a kick in the bum.

Thank you! Thank you! The quality of women I have met as a result of my transformation... both physically and personality-wise has greatly improved.