Progressive overload variations

savis

Besides the standard ones, like:
  • Linear Progression - the most popular beginner one, where we increase weight each session, or every N sessions
  • Double Progression - where we increase reps in range (like 8-12), and at the top of the range increase the weight and reset the reps to the lowest in range.
  • Rep Sum - where we increase weight after the sum of all reps is more than the threshold (e.g. more than 50 total)
  • Linear Periodization - where we increase the intensity and decrease volume during several weeks, and then bump the weight at the end
What types of progressive overload you know and like? Curious if you used something that's not standard / very popular, but you actually enjoyed it a lot.

@savis I have been thinking (just pure self talk) about a different modality that is close to the rep sum model, where you take the average of reps/set as a metric to progress. I think this is mostly unnecessarily complicated except for those who suffer from a steep drop in rep number from set to set, people that have a lot of unexpected factors affecting their training (like myself) and they face a lot of ups and downs (e.g. lots of bad days), and people running a powerlifting program and want to track their progress on accessories.

Edit: added extra details.

@savis It’s less strictly a type of overload, but there’s also adding an AMRAP set. Generally not for heavy compounds, but isolations.

Means instead of 3 x 8-12 (for example), you might do 2 x 8-12, 1 x AMRAP. This can be good if you’re applying a mental block (not actually training as close to failure as you think you are, saying you only need to hit 10 reps and stopping once you have but you would have had more in the tank etc)

@savis rest pause training - do 3 rest pause sets and count total number of reps. have a rep goal and increase weight when you hit the rep goal over 3 sets (dc training). for example goal = 18 reps, and you do 12, 5, 3 = up the weight

cluster sets - do 6 sets with a goal of 6 reps per set with a weight you can get 10-12 with (you can change these numbers as you wish). up the weight when you get 30+ reps over the 6 sets

pyramid sets - do a set with ascending weight and have a rep goal with each weight. increase the weight for the set if you hit the rep goal. for example, you have 100x10, 110x8, 120x7 and 130x5 as your set and rep goals. if you perform 100x9, 110x7, 120x7 and then 130x4, next workout you would do sets with 100, 110, 125 and 130 as you completed the 120 for 7 goal.

reverse pyramid sets - pyramid sets but descending weight instead of ascending.

cumulative sets - pick a weight, do a set for 1 rep, then do a set for 2 reps, then do a set for 3 reps. continue until you can't increase the reps by one on successive sets. once you hit maybe 10 reps (pick whatever number is reasonable) up the weight.

drop sets - perform a set then lower the weight a couple times and perform a couple sets to failure. try to increase either the top sets weight/reps or increase the dropped sets weight or reps

plateau method - perform a set with a weight, for example 100 x 8 reps. continue performing sets until you can't get 8 reps. count the number of sets you do. once you get say 5 sets, up the weight or reps

simply do more - add to total volume every session - either increase weight or add a rep no matter what. if you did 100 x 8, 7,6 last session you did 100 for 21 reps - next session either do 105 for 21 total reps or 100 for 22 reps.

@savis doggcrapp training, it's a training program based around rest pause training, high protein diet, a specific split and progressive overload

@savis Dynamic double progression

A bit more complicated, but still easy enough. Similar to double progression, you up the weight when at the top end of a rep range - except you’re doing it set by set.

Let’s say you’re aiming for 5/5/5 with 100kg on the bench. Dynamic double progression has you continue upping reps / weight on the sets that hit the goal. So you might hit 5/5/4 and then do 102.5kg for the first two sets, and 100kg for the last set.

It means you’re not stuck waiting for the final set to add reps / weight before progressing the first two (assuming 3 sets) - useful when you’re working in the 8-12 range for example and keep failing to hit the 12 reps with the third set, while you hit 12/12 for the first two.

@kebo I kinda like it, I feel like with regular double progression you eventually end up with e.g. 2 first sets far from failure, and you only get to real struggle at the last one.

If we only target the first set for weight increase, it may prolong the time you're pushing the limits for all the sets, not just the last one.

@savis To be clear, it’s not targeted towards a set. It’s intended to have each set progress independent of the others.

8-12 reps is perhaps a better example, because you’re generally upping reps before weight (whether 8, 9 etc or 8, 10 etc). With dynamic double progression you might do 12/11/10 with 100kg. That would then have you on 8 with 102.5kg while going for reps 12 and 11/12 in the second and third set with 100kg.

@kebo Ah, I missed it - so each set kinda maintains its own weight?

That's even more interesting, I've never seen schemes like that. I'm going to try it out too, sounds pretty fun.

@savis Pretty much!

Only thing to flag is people apply it differently. 2 RIR (Reps in Reserve) is often applied rather than complete failure (0 RIR).

If doing the 2 RIR approach, the dynamic part can also be adapting to how you’re feeling session to session. Say you’re aiming for 100 x 12 on a set but find 100 x 10 is you hitting 2 RIR - you then lower the load for subsequent sets.

This helps auto regulate sessions where you’re not up to it for whatever reason, but does rely on being clear on when you’re at 2 RIR rather than say 3-4…

@savis
I kinda like it, I feel like with regular double progression you eventually end up with e.g. 2 first sets far from failure, and you only get to real struggle at the last one.

That's not necessarily a bad thing though, if you are doing lots of sets they all won't be to failure and the last one is generally the best to do it on.

@kebo Ive been enjoying this progression the most. Feels like you’re tackling a PR every set. I don’t know about the RIR2 tho. Could explain why I’m so mentally drained by the end of the workout.

@kebo Wait, isn't that just double progression? I've always upped weight on a set by set basis. Doesn't make sense to me to wait until you get 12 reps on all sets.

@savis Haven’t seen anyone mention the top set and back-off set method. Some people track just the first set and do two back off sets at like 10-20% less in a rep range or as AMRAP.